Richard Thompson - New to me

bkeske

Arrived today, didn’t know what to expect. I haven’t even streamed this LP. What struck me first after dropping the needle was how stark, ‘thick’, and dark it started, but as it went along, Richard’s song writing and guitar magic shined through…..buy the end…It was indeed my old friend, who rarely disappoints.

Richard Thompson - 13 Rivers. New West Records 2LP 2018

E1E15589-9C76-4751-A513-DC692C7E3164.jpeg

I'm also new to the Thompson camp.  Knew he was in Fairport Convention, but not familiar with that or his solo material.  I picked up a nice reissue of his 1991 Rumor and Sigh album.  IMHO, the tune I Misunderstood is alone worth the price of admission.  An amazing guitar player, particularly on acoustic.   

Yes indeed. I have a couple of his solo albums on vinyl. Actually have Rumor and Sigh on cassette (and still have a Nakamichi cassette deck). Also a huge Fairport Convention fan. This album is a little different from his others, but well worth it. Has been highly acclaimed by many reviewers, some thinking it is his best in 20 years. A good deal for a 2 LP 33.3rpm set as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My niece's husband had a career in journalism at the San Diego Tribune.  For the bulk of his tenue, he was the editor of the Entertainment section.  His focus was music, and he was exposed to a plethora of it.  While jazz is his favorite genre, he told me that Richard Thompson is the best acoustic guitarist he has ever seen  ...........  and he's seen a lot of them.

Glad you're enjoying it bkeske.  Isn't Misunderstood a great groove?

Yes it is Steve. Thanks for nudging me a bit to get this on vinyl; it really sounds great. I have a few of Richard’s LP’s, and this one is different. Seems someone was trying to get him to become a bit more ‘mainstream’. Regardless, a must have release as a fan.

And I concur, Richard is an incredible guitarist with a very unique style.

speaking of San Diego, caught him at The Belly Up in Solana Bch. 300 person venue, great sound...he was fantastic.... I bought all the vinyl they had......starstruck fan boy...ha

Brian - I bet the Euro pressing is great

I don’t know IF it exists on vinyl BUT his Austin live CD is a favorite.... Cooksferry Queen rocks !

Ah, the Belly Up!  My only experience with the venue is an afternoon beer on the way home from a golf outing with some mates.  Ironically, the Smithereens were scheduled to play that night, my co-pilot's favorite band at the time.  Unfortunately, we all needed to get home.  

Dawes is playing there sometime in the Fall; that may be a show I finally get to see there.

Have you guys heard the story of the Stones playing a private party there a few years ago?