M5 HP repair

I am trying to fix my M5 HP filter that I bought used. It also has battery leak damage.  Can I check if the cable connection is correct because I have zero resistance between ground and positive in my RCA male jack (short circuit). Please see attached photo. It seems to me the green cable should be connected to the ground line outside.

Thank you in advance for your help.

IMG_7561.jpg

m5 hp cabling.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, riady said:

I am trying to fix my M5 HP filter that I bought used. It also has battery leak damage.  Can I check if the cable connection is correct because I have zero resistance between ground and positive in my RCA male jack (short circuit). Please see attached photo. It seems to me the green cable should be connected to the ground line outside.

Thank you in advance for your help.

IMG_7561.jpg

m5 hp cabling.jpg

For liability reasons I will not comment!  If something goes wrong a 9-volt signal into any amp will try to put every driver in the speaker in your lap.  Very expensive!  Send it in with an RMA form filled out and we will get it back as it should be for a reasonable price.  RV

• Like 2

Part of the risk / reward function of buying used. I’ve experienced great joy and disappointment… all in the same transaction… so, i can relate. Ive had ocassional need to use Vandersteen factory service over the 40 years i’ve been doing this, i think you will find none better or frankly more affordable. Please do get it fixed right. Battery damage is very rust like… it creeps…..

• Like 2

Thank you for the advice. I am based in Singapore. I will contact Vandersteen for the repair cost.

Assuming it is fixed, in the future, is there a sign when the battery is weak, in terms of sound quality coming out of the speaker? Other than remembering when to change the battery.

What happen when battery is flat to the performance of the speaker?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hello in Singapore ! Battery for the DBS last 6+ years depending on the type. The Vandersteen service department can outline your options for longer life solutions. Please note some Vandersteen speakers also have batteries inside the internal crossovers with same expected life. Sonic impact can be significant loss of life to music flat and lifeless has been used to describe the impact.

Best to you in music !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riady said:

Thank you for the advice. I am based in Singapore. I will contact Vandersteen for the repair cost.

Assuming it is fixed, in the future, is there a sign when the battery is weak, in terms of sound quality coming out of the speaker? Other than remembering when to change the battery.

What happen when battery is flat to the performance of the speaker?

Thanks

Usually people write the date on the outside of the box on a piece of tape or something so you know when it’s time to send them in for service.  

• Like 2

All M5 or M7 High-Pass filters serviced by Vandersteen have the recommended replacement date written on them inside.  For Alkaline batteries this is 7 years and for those with Lithium it is 12.  As a reminder these batteries MUST be very carefully soldered in because any static caused by corrosion (remember rolling the battery in the TV remote) will be powerful enough to blow up your speakers (non-warrantee).  These batteries are used as a bias DBS on the high-pass capacitors (better sound) with no current draw, so they last their shelf life except they tend to leak as they are designed to deliver current to a device.  Our M5-HP(B), M7-HPB, Model 5 (3 each 9-volt alkaline per speaker 7 years) and SEVEN (12 each 3-volt lithium's per speaker 12 years) series speakers are the only ones with DBS batteries internally.   When these DBS batteries die, they will still play music but at a much lower sound quality.  RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1