Amps for 2C

Holmz

Went to a shop yesterday in Subiaco (Perth WA).

They had some Focal speakers with Naim powering it and sounded pretty nice. (A lot of meat in the midrange.)

He suggested that my PrimaLuna was a weak point, as well as the pre amp (Audible Illusions Modulus line stage). I do have a set of KT-120 tubes to put into it as well as a set of new tubes for the AI line stage.

And sage advice ? (… for gear to consider?)

Just a heads up on the Audible Illusions line stage. Make sure you are re-tubing with  Soviet era military spec tubes. That what they were designed to use. Definitely no Chinese tubes....may not work at all. (ask me how I know!) Don't pay up for Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex, etc NOS.....Moose and squirrel say only Commie tubes!

• Like 1

+1 on tube selection for the Modulus.  I have a Modulus 3a and have been very happy with it- doubt that is a weak link.  I don't know what the power rating is on your PrimaLuna but I'm running my 2CE Sigs with a little Jolida tube amp while my main amp is in the shop.  It sounds ok but does not really have the oomph to make the 2ce sound their best.  Even with KT120s installed you might benefit from a higher power/ current amp.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Focal speakers sound completely different from Vandersteens. Most obvious to me Focal speakers did not sound time aligned.

I heard the newer Naim electronics driving newer B&W speakers. I thought they were B&W 600 series. The sound was impressive, the match between speakers and amp is really important and again, B&W speakers sound very different from Vandersteens. If you're really considering Naim, try it with your 2Cs to see what synergy they bring.

I like the Audible Illusions Modulus preamps. They mate well with high quality Solid State amps. I've heard these at dealers. I would compare that type of combo vs the Naim gear on your 2Cs to see which you prefer.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, mwgreene said:

Moose and squirrel say only Commie tubes!

Hahaha!

The stupid part was I never knew that Boris Badenov was a play on Gudenov, until I took a music course in college.-Though that coronation scene has some great music, thanks to Rimsky Korsakov.

Bob

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

Hi, Focal speakers sound completely different from Vandersteens. Most obvious to me Focal speakers did not sound time aligned.

I heard the newer Naim electronics driving newer B&W speakers. I thought they were B&W 600 series. The sound was impressive, the match between speakers and amp is really important and again, B&W speakers sound very different from Vandersteens. If you're really considering Naim, try it with your 2Cs to see what synergy they bring.

I like the Audible Illusions Modulus preamps. They mate well with high quality Solid State amps. I've heard these at dealers. I would compare that type of combo vs the Naim gear on your 2Cs to see which you prefer.

I will likely try Class-D before Naim… I think that the Naim amps were pretty expensive.
There is a local speaker builder that I stumbled upon when I was at the lumber joint getting a piece of Jarrah. He also repackages N-Core modules like Buckeye Amps is doing in US.

I know it is not advocated, but I could envision running the Prima-Donna on the MR/Tweeters, and a Class-D on the woofers. I have a Hypex, so I could try it.
Or maybe I should just go full active…?

11 hours ago, ctsooner said:

That would be interesting. I personally have yet to hear a coherent system running different amps for top and. Bottom on a full range speaker like a Steen. Subs, yes, but not full range. Would be interested in hearing your opinion after trying. 

I may not be coherent myself 😉

The shallow slopes of the crossovers mean that a lot of energy is still sneaking though. So that will result in beaming in the woofer with a class-D, When a MR is spraying out more for shotgun blast of tribe sound to bounce off the walls and ceiling.

But the powered subs are doing a similar thing, so it is worth a go… and I already have the plate amps.

• Like 1

Oh, I am glad you are trying it!  I want to hear your thoughts. I was just sharing what I've heard over the years when folks mix amps on any speakers.  Things are changing daily in audio, so it may just work for you. I really hope that it does! 😉. As I always say, the music still matters more.  

On 11/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, Holmz said:

I may not be coherent myself 😉

The shallow slopes of the crossovers mean that a lot of energy is still sneaking though. So that will result in beaming in the woofer with a class-D, When a MR is spraying out more for shotgun blast of tribe sound to bounce off the walls and ceiling.

But the powered subs are doing a similar thing, so it is worth a go… and I already have the plate amps.

Our powered subwoofers do NOT use class "D" amps because they have blending issues even at low frequencies!  Too bas as it would save us a lot of money. YMMV

RV

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Ralph (Atmasphere) says that the distortion harmonics profile (versus frequency) is important…
I am guessing that that is likely why not to use different amps for bi amping.

Has anyone used a Bryson 10B crossover?
(They are no longer made, but might be worth a try?)

I have a new (used) Nagra Jazz en route to put into the front end stack.
So I’ll either move the AI Modulus to the shed, or see if one of the daughters has interest in it.

Edited by Holmz

Looking at the manual, the Jazz (preamp) has a bypass for the HT AVR.
So in the off position, the AVR wires directly as XLR input to XLR output.
(And when “ON”, and to another setting, then A-E go to the XLR and RCA outputs.

I suppose it is operating solely like an expensive XLR connector at that point?

Edited by Holmz

I have a pair of VTKL monoblock 100s.

They seem OK, and (by recollection) they seemed better than the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP .

But honestly, the 2Cs sounded great even on an old NAD 30x0.
They must be easy to drive compared to all the modern 4 ohm jobs that stress out many amplifiers?

I am having this convo offline with a Vandy owner.  Too many get caught up with wattage etc...  All Vandy speakers are fairly easy drives.  Room size and listening habits are the determining factors.  I've driven the Treo's with an Ayre AX7e (their small integrated) and it rocked until I got the AX5/20 (in a DIFFERENT league and not just power).  I know many who run their 2's on 50 watt tube amps and have for years.  These larger powerful amps weren't as prevalent in the late 70's when Richard invented them if I recall correctly.  

From what I've been told, most of the workers are Vandy owned NAD gear for their speakers.  I've used and loved the smaller NAD integrated amps and even separates over the years and loved how they sounded.  Their class A/B amps are outstanding and a GREAT value to say the least. Same with Rotel.  Most Vandy dealers sell at least one of these brands and many sell both.