What's the deal with Class D DJ amps?

Built another DIY subwoofer and was unable to find a plate amp I liked that would fit, Tried a Crown XLS 2002 which is designed for DJ or PA systems. After a few days the low cost amp seems really clean, crazy powerful, cool, quiet and exhibits exceptional control over the subwoofer.  It's running a 4ohm load bridged.  

Has anyone tried these type of amps on Vandersteens?  What are the drawbacks?

10 hours ago, Mr645 said:

Built another DIY subwoofer and was unable to find a plate amp I liked that would fit, Tried a Crown XLS 2002 which is designed for DJ or PA systems. After a few days the low cost amp seems really clean, crazy powerful, cool, quiet and exhibits exceptional control over the subwoofer.  It's running a 4ohm load bridged.  

I have a set of Hypex 502 (500W x2 or 1000W bridged).
I do not know if/how feedback works in a Class-D… so if the speakers have wild impedance swings versus frequency, then maybe I would avoid them… (however I do not think that the Vandersteens are in that category.) 

I should try it before I dedicate those to the subs, which is why I got them.

I’m also looking at the Buckeye amps, for the rear surround speakers and some tactile transducers… so 4 channels worth. (I’ll try the Hypex plates first).

There is also those Purifi amps… one should be able to try them and move the amps on easily if they do not pan out.,.. (Because people are raving about them spec wise)

10 hours ago, Mr645 said:

Has anyone tried these type of amps on Vandersteens?  What are the drawbacks?

I would suggest to not drive them into clipping. They may not be as graceful as Class-AB nor Class-A when clipped.

Thanks for the feedback.  My local dealer, a friend who specializes in live music and commercial installations like sports bars and such first gave me a monster amp from BGW. a 50 lb beast delivering 2000 w but due to it's size and weight, and also the fan, I just could not make it work for me. So we swap it out for a Crown XLS1502 and this amp feels like a toy at 7 lbs, is silent, but I try it and powering the subwoofer, I like it better than the BGW amp. So I started thinking what else these low cost DJ type amps can be used for.  Do I dare compare them to the Parasound amp powering my 2Ce/VCC-5 front stage?  

I figured here I would find honest, technical reasons regarding what makes these amp good or bad for various uses.  But compared to the BGW amp this light weight Crown seems faster, more dynamic and can match the power at a fraction of the price and weight

Edited by Mr645