Model 7 xtm and Kento Granite Bases

GdnrBob

I just got back from Audioconnection's introduction of the new 7XTM's.

I listened to Mr. V. explain how using the marble base aids in keeping the speaker from introducing vibration/distortion.

My question is how is the marble base integrated in the 7's and Kento. I looked at the manuals, but can't find how they are attached. Are they bolted to the base after delivery, or a part of the speaker itself/

I ask this as I am curious if this mass loading will improve other Vandy's like the Treo or Quatro?

I think @ctsooner, told me he was going to use some marble plinths on his Quatro's, but looking at how the 7's and Kento seem to have the marble above the spikes/cones, I would think bolting the marble under my Treo's would be the way to go.

Of course I could be obtuse..

Bob

Walking by the cabinet the Mrs has in the dining room causes it to have a 1-2 Hz rattle… So there is some floor flexing and cabinet oscillation.

So maybe there is something to the decoupling crowd, as it should make a wow-n-flutter type of Doppler added to the system… mostly WOW I think?

If the granite was on say springs, then its mass should make for a low resonant frequency. And the force of gravity should hold the speaker onto the marble?

3 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

…

I could be on a tangent? And my angle is seldom referred to as acute. 🙃

Funny you should mention putting the granite on springs, as Mr. V. was explaining that using a spring platform was helping to smear upper and midrange on 'bright' speakers-making them more listenable. Hopefully, I haven't mucked up his explanation.

21 hours ago, Holmz said:

1-2 Hz rattle

Not to be b**chy but how do you notice it? That is so sub-sonic, you'd be mostly feeling it.

Mr. V. did say that floors that flex might benefit from using spring platforms. As all his measurements are done on solid concrete floors.

B

It is not d__chy at all.

I could hear the plates rattling at a 1-2 cycles per second rate. They were a “high frequency rattle” as the glass they sit on and the plates were sort of warped… so it is like a chair with a shorter leg that rattle on the floor..

But I am like a bull in a china shop, so maybe it is not as much of a problem when I am not waltzing across the floor.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:41 PM, GdnrBob said:

I just got back from Audioconnection's introduction of the new 7XTM's.

I listened to Mr. V. explain how using the marble base aids in keeping the speaker from introducing vibration/distortion.

My question is how is the marble base integrated in the 7's and Kento. I looked at the manuals, but can't find how they are attached. Are they bolted to the base after delivery, or a part of the speaker itself/

I ask this as I am curious if this mass loading will improve other Vandy's like the Treo or Quatro?

I think @ctsooner, told me he was going to use some marble plinths on his Quatro's, but looking at how the 7's and Kento seem to have the marble above the spikes/cones, I would think bolting the marble under my Treo's would be the way to go.

Bob

Bob, the XTRM Bedrock is isolated by Poron foam on top and Neoprene on the bottom so that the dominant resonant frequency of Granite is not injected into the speaker.  I would not attach Granite to any speaker unless you want them brighter.  Place thin carpet on the floor with Granite on top of the thin carpet and use our Spike Shoes under the stock spikes for best results.  This would be how the speakers were designed, measured, voiced and tested by Vandersteen.  If the sound is not to your liking all kinds of tweaks can personalize ones system to taste.

RV

RV