Jerry Garcia Band

bkeske

I've had this set on cassette from the 90's, then CD, and was recently released on vinyl. Sounds really nice, and I think this may be the best performance I've ever heard from Jerry, period. Recorded live in 1990, released by Round Records in 2021. 4 1/2 LP's at 33 1/3.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Steve, when I got the cassette (2) back in the 90’s I was blown away by Jerry’s playing on this set. I still am, and the vinyl version is very nice. This was recorded at a club in SF which became the JGB’s home base essentially. This was after Jerry got sick, I believe sober again for a period, and his performance on this is incredible.  BTW, there is a YouTube video of this concert as well. A lot of fun to watch.

Yea, cost-wise it can be pricey. I was lucky to find a small seller on Discogs who had a second new sealed copy. So it was only $63 shipped.  A good price indeed. They are going for upwards of $80. But, to me, knowing this set for years, and how much I like it, it was worth it. 

• Like 1

Love him. Which club in SF?  I used to love going to see Tower of Power in the 80’s at The Fillmore Theater when our ship was in port. Then I’d go DJ all night/morning at the Bank Exchange that was in the TransAmerica building. I think that was the club name. What a fun group of years. Ha 

• Like 1

Pete, not the Filmore, it was a club called Club Front.  As I understand, that became the local club The Jerry Garcia Band made their home at some point. I would imagine it was typically a cozy ‘family’ atmosphere for locals to enjoy Jerry and friends on a regular basis.

Find the YouTube video of this performance, it is really great too.

• Like 1

If you are a JGB fan, try to find  Pure Jerry: Warner Theatre March 18, 1978.   It might only be available on CD.  It's HDCD encoded.   It's a good show, and an excellent recording.   It will show off what a phase and time coherent speaker can do.   "Gomorrah" is especially good.