Granite Bases

Gsal

11 hours ago, BKDad said:

Round these here parts, sink drops are the pieces of a countertop that get cut out so that you can place a prefabbed sink into or under the counter.  But, I suspect that this might be a local term, like frappe, grinder, and stuff like that.

Inspection plates are cool, but even the lower grade ones are expensive.  The bases we have underneath our Quatro CT's came from a local custom counter shop.  They took the drawing I made, asked my wife to choose a piece of granite she liked, and they cut and glued two layers together to get the thickness we wanted.  Polished them and rounded the edges, too.  (A standard granite counter thickness is 3 cm)  Came out great and cost just over $300 for the two bases.  Plus tax, of course.

BK, maybe it’s because we both live in central CT, but thanks for making the exact post I was going to make about my slabs lol. Literally the exact thing other than cost. The ONLY reason my cost was a spec less was because they had the two black copper flex ones that fit perfectly, was because they had just cut the counter slab and had two larger throw aways from a shorter counter run. I also was having them install new counter tops for our townhouse lol. I just went with a squared corner and a slight chamfer on the top edge that gives a cool shadow line to match the glue line. When I told Richard that I was having them glue he said that was a great way to put a constrained layer in it.  Again, for anyone doing this, pick you color, pick your size and pick you finished edge. Glue them up snd install .  

no right or wrong. Just do it lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, when granite counter tops are installed the hole for the sink is cut in the field. The piece that drops out is th sink drop and is essentially junk. get from a counter place for free. The advantage of granite counter top material is  it can be extremely pretty with swirling seams of quartz, etc. You feel bad hiding it under a speaker. inspection plates are very plane jane in pink or gray because  this makes it easier to grind them unholy flat. But you can also make an MDF box, cover it with your choice of formica and fill it with lead. Not so cheap unless you can find a deal on lead, I just spent $200 on 73 lbs. But easy to carry up the stairs and fill your boxes at the top. Also lead is denser than granite so a thinner box will weigh more.

A headstone place will do anything with granite and I doubt they work with less than 3". unfinished edges are popular. You can have your epitaph cut on the underside and reclaim some expense someday. All they have to do is fill in one date.

• Thanks 1

It isn't about the density etc... It's only about keeping the speaker from moving. It's teh same thing with the design of Richards new bass units in the Kento and the XTRM.  It's all about preventing teh speaker from moving.  That's why the Vandershoes are so important. They have a special felt that Richard found which will not move on the granite bases.  If Richard wants to jump in to clear anything I may have misstated ..... 

On 5/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, GdnrBob said:

Wilson has X Material.

Is the felt V Material?😇

Bob

If Wilson uses X material, then logically Vandersteen would use W material.  But, that doesn't make any sense, does it?  😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BKDad said:

If Wilson uses X material, then logically Vandersteen would use W material.  But, that doesn't make any sense, does it?  😉

If Dutch V's sound like W's, then perhaps....😜

5 hours ago, ctsooner said:

HIGHLY doubt it Bob.  There are probably a lot of materials you could use, but I know that Richards felt really does work.

I was positing it as a potential sales gimmick. You know when audiophiles hear something exotic like V Material, they'll pay anything to get it.

(If Mr. V. does use it, then I hope to get a cut of the profits😉).

Hee hee.

B

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...