Granite Bases

Gsal

Finally sourced my granite bases and purchased Vandershoes for my Treo CT's.

My listening room is above my garage on a less than stable wood floor. I would say that there was a definite improvement in the overall sound quality. Aside from tighter bass the soundstage has improved. More focused, larger, deeper. Highly recommended. Just be careful . I had to carry the 70+ # bases up 16 steps. Nearly killed me.

granite.jpg

• Like 5

We got some mid century modern chairs, which made us feel a dog with worms, trying to get out it.
I ended up remaking the 4 legs on each chair, so that is was a touch taller.

This is after the new legs and before the reupholstering.

That 3” looks like it is about the amount you would need to raise the chairs there for those new bases 😃
(If you want to keep the drivers at ear level)

85CDBE4C-5BFB-471B-8CF4-5959E4655043.jpeg

• Like 1

The “Evolution and Upgrades” could be “Elevation and Upgrades”, as the speakers are moving on up…

It does seems like on a floor above a garage it would help, and they certainly give it a solid look.
(I am trying to get a sense of the garage room, it looks massive, but it might just be a wide angle photo.)

Jim, those bases are a must.  I only have 2" ones and they were glued together.  It makes a nice difference for sure (I'm on carpet on teh second floor).  I am going to price out 3" solid pieces if I can find them.  Not sure if I go to the memorial place where they make head stones. My countertop folks dont' have that thick a piece.  They are amazing 

12 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

…  Not sure if I go to the memorial place where they make head stones. …

Well… being Easter weekend, and all… 

I have a thought provoking idea…

There are also concrete art type of products… The Haus-Boss and I did a concrete course in Virginia beach, and I think it was using a product called “Surecrete” ??
Basically it has a cookie dough consistency and one uses say a sink mould and mashes in whatever colour combos that want. After the cure it is common to use a different colour of a thinner mix and screed it into any pores that remain.

We did something around a 3’x2’ table top, and left it in Virginia Beach, and sis has it in her back yard.
The granite looks like it would be a bit denser, but depending on the art aspect, and colour, having something made could be an option?

One pretty much gets concrete form board, and nail gun it together, adding any silicon sealer for fillets if the edges should be rounded.
I would probably screw some captive nutserts onto a board and shove that on top at the end… (The top is usually the bottom).
That you have a place to screw spikes into in case one needed them.

There are all colours under the sun, and the local distributor would be able to guide one to a local “artist”.
(She wanted to do some outdoor furniture, but that never really happened… It seemed like an odd choice of vacation for her to choose, but we had a good time.) 

I would suggest considering these if the granite was difficult to obtain, or if one wanted more of a bespoke look and colour scheme.

They often use fibreglass matting additives in more structure parts as a layer “Inside” the initial decorative surface pour. .. for sinks, tables, benches, etc. 
For instance, one could have all the speaker, amp, and sub stands match, and also have an equipment  table match the scheme.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Jim, those bases are a must.  I only have 2" ones and they were glued together.  It makes a nice difference for sure (I'm on carpet on teh second floor).  I am going to price out 3" solid pieces if I can find them.  Not sure if I go to the memorial place where they make head stones. My countertop folks dont' have that thick a piece.  They are amazing 

11 hours ago, Holmz said:

The “Evolution and Upgrades” could be “Elevation and Upgrades”, as the speakers are moving on up…

It does seems like on a floor above a garage it would help, and they certainly give it a solid look.
(I am trying to get a sense of the garage room, it looks massive, but it might just be a wide angle photo.)

The room above my garage is about 15' x 22' with a side area that branches off about halfway down the one side. Here's another view.

System.jpg

• Like 2

It’s amazing how different all our rooms are. It shows you can always set things up properly. 

As for bases, you don’t want spikes. That defeats the purpose. Richard is the one to ask about the concrete bases, but I’d think they are probably going to work as they are there to simulate a solid floor and the Vandershoes have a special felt that grips more than felt so the speaker doesn’t move. Thanks for the share. I’ll see what Richard has to say and then figure out the way to go. I’ll probably just get two new slabs or keep what I have and adjust the washers accordingly.  

If it's difficult to find a granite shop that can make thicker pieces (like 3" if that's your plan), you can buy granite surface inspection plates in various sizes in 3" thickness.  Starrett makes them, and there are lesser no-name brands too.  Just throwing that out there.  Starrett is pretty high end equipment, so if on a budget you can find off brands on ebay usually.

• Like 1

the condo floors are pretty stout and include some lightweight cement over wood. I had a sound damping product ( foam and cork ) installed over the concrete, then a pretty think engineered hardwood….. granite is a maybe….

I do think the floor in seattle w 7’s would benefit from the Vandersteen Bedrock bases, my understanding is the 7 spikes are removed and threaded bolts connect the base and speaker and then that entire 300 plus pound assy is then spiked to floor. Perhaps RV can comment on the various bedrock models. @Richard Vandersteen

11 hours ago, TomicTime said:

the condo floors are pretty stout and include some lightweight cement over wood. I had a sound damping product ( foam and cork ) installed over the concrete, then a pretty think engineered hardwood….. granite is a maybe….

I do think the floor in seattle w 7’s would benefit from the Vandersteen Bedrock bases, my understanding is the 7 spikes are removed and threaded bolts connect the base and speaker and then that entire 300 plus pound assy is then spiked to floor. Perhaps RV can comment on the various bedrock models. @Richard Vandersteen

Not sure if I was clear or not (that's the norm as you guys know. Thanks for dealing with my cognitive stuff).  All you do is what the pic shows above.  you just put the slabs under the speakers and treat it as it being an extension of the floor.  Just put the shoes under your speakers spikes and set them up.

The 7's are set up and designed differently I guess, but you are getting them from Richard, so the threads are all in the right place etc.. 🙂 

Thanks for the Woodcraft link. I'll drive over there today.  I take courses at the local one and am friends with the owner.  I had no clue they sold those. I have purchased smaller plates from them for flattening my chisels and planes (I have purchased older planes that are rare and revived them and sold them).  

The only question I have is that the Quatro's base says 19" deep and these slabs are only 18" deep.  I assume there is overhang on the rear of the slab if you line up the front of the speaker and the slab so it looks like it fits perfectly. ????  thanks.  (not upstairs with a tape measure to measure it all. Thanks.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164303631833?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=164303631833&targetid=1493511190505&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9003189&poi=&campaignid=15431381266&mkgroupid=128740829685&rlsatarget=pla-1493511190505&abcId=9300764&merchantid=8034284&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz6b-rfi_cuXObi2R1Utz1vm6djuFG9bED4ed3CIDGLpEmHR2wiVm54aAlEhEALw_wcB 

Here is an eBay add for the same slabs. I don't know how much shipping is, but I reached out to ask.  I also just reached out to a local stone and tile place to ask them for a quote, but I doubt they can get 3" slabs as they are countertop folks. Thats why mine are glued. I'll ask Richard if it would even matter. If it does, I have no problem spending another 250 to get them from Woodcraft or even the Bay guy if shipping comes up less than Woodcraft plus taxes (I would pick them up locally).  Choices, lol... just like audio.  ha.

21 hours ago, ctsooner said:

It’s amazing how different all our rooms are. It shows you can always set things up properly. 

As for bases, you don’t want spikes. That defeats the purpose. Richard is the one to ask about the concrete bases, but I’d think they are probably going to work as they are there to simulate a solid floor and the Vandershoes have a special felt that grips more than felt so the speaker doesn’t move. Thanks for the share. I’ll see what Richard has to say and then figure out the way to go. I’ll probably just get two new slabs or keep what I have and adjust the washers accordingly.  

Actually if memory serves RV has noted that when using a granite base you do indeed retain the spikes and put them in the Vandershoes. That's why he offers the shoes. Also, John Rutan of Audio Connection advised me to purchase the shoes and use them with the spikes on the granite. Lastly, John also said that the granite should be 3" thick as are the ones I sourced.

Two or three inches makes no difference but be sure to compensate by adjusting the tilt accordingly.  Having them made by layering one-inch pieces sounds slightly better as it is then constrained layer damped.  Spikes are installed on the speakers as normal but with spike shoes.  Granite is placed on a piece of carpet if on wood or tile.  RV

• Thanks 1

Thanks Richard. I measured and found out that the stack is nearly 3" as it's nearly 1.25"for each slab and the adhesive takes up a spec.  Yes, I need to readjust the washers still. I tried by myself and it didnt' work well, lol. Waiting on a friend to come help me.  Probably going to be my son on Sunday, lol. I'll just to the white cardboard with my head and ears drawn on it.

Grade a plates are inspection grade. costly. But no one is inspecting. So the ideal plate is a damaged or reject one. A tiny chip and they get thrown away. You just put the chip down. Try Someplace like McMaster Carr or Graingers for their worst grade (or ungraded) inspection plates.

I use sink drops for sharpening chores. 1" is plenty.

Round these here parts, sink drops are the pieces of a countertop that get cut out so that you can place a prefabbed sink into or under the counter.  But, I suspect that this might be a local term, like frappe, grinder, and stuff like that.

Inspection plates are cool, but even the lower grade ones are expensive.  The bases we have underneath our Quatro CT's came from a local custom counter shop.  They took the drawing I made, asked my wife to choose a piece of granite she liked, and they cut and glued two layers together to get the thickness we wanted.  Polished them and rounded the edges, too.  (A standard granite counter thickness is 3 cm)  Came out great and cost just over $300 for the two bases.  Plus tax, of course.

• Like 1