Old Vandersteens

Came across of this pic of my #2 system (if I posted it before please ignore this) - all circa late 1980s - early 1990s except the turntable which is a later addition..  Too bad few people realize what a really good speaker the 4As were - would love to see what Richard could do to them with the drivers available today.  Possibly one of the biggest bargains in used speakers, assuming you can find them (don't know how many pairs he made - does anyone else know?)  This was the core of my main system for many years.

Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX,  Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

1966687987_Livingroom.thumb.jpg.d8d447ed14107a118fb1b798976e7a08.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wspohn said:

Came across of this pic of my #2 system (if I posted it before please ignore this) - all circa late 1980s - early 1990s except the turntable which is a later addition..  Too bad few people realize what a really good speaker the 4As were - would love to see what Richard could do to them with the drivers available today.  Possibly one of the biggest bargains in used speakers, assuming you can find them (don't know how many pairs he made - does anyone else know?)  This was the core of my main system for many years.

Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX,  Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

1966687987_Livingroom.thumb.jpg.d8d447ed14107a118fb1b798976e7a08.jpg

We built about 60 pair total of the 4 and 4A speaker.  The patented mid-range in the Model 3 and the powered 2W subs were sonically superior and they stopped selling before we could print any manuals or lit (only 4 dealers were trained on how to set them up and they sold all of them).  They were never actually discontinued till years later because of lack of sales.  They were great speakers but were bigger than most people wanted in their homes.  RV

• Like 2

The one and only time I heard them was at the Stereophile show in LA, circa 1987.  It might be the same show RV referenced at the Model 7 XTRM premiere a couple weeks ago at Stereo Unlimited.  It was my first audio show, attended at the suggestion of my better half (& she went with me).  If I recall, Vandersteen had two rooms.  When we entered the room with the 4's (or 4A's, I don't recall), we got seats front and center.  The first song they played was Where Do The Children Play.  I don't remember the electronics, but the clarity of the first firm strum of the acoustic guitar strings was startling.  I looked at Karen and just shook my head.  They followed that with You Look Good To Me from Oscar Peterson's We Get Requests. I'll never forget the sound (and impact) of that wand going across Ray's double bass. 

Play on

Edited by Steve Edwards

I heard them all the time at Ocean State Audio in Providence, RI.  Bruce loved them, but he like ProAc’s better and that’s what I ended up with. I drove up there in the early 90’s or maybe mid and wanted a pair of 2’s.  He sold me his demo pair of ProAc towers instead and I kept them for a long long time.  I had to rewire them with MIT internal wire and that helped tame the metal tweeter a bit, but man I wish Bruce had the 2’s set up properly.  The 4’s were really nice as he had them in their own room.  I’m not sure if he sold may of the 60 though. 

Thanks for sharing that story Richard.  It answers so many questions I’ve been asked over the years.  Personally, the Treo’s are the two’s in a cabinet, but they are so much more than that.  The 4’s wouldn’t have a place anymore with what he’s done with the line.  Heck, after hearing those 2’s again at Johnny’s, I’m blown away by what they do for the price range.