Turntable Upgrades

My Kento Carbon/M5 combo is all broken in and sounding sweet. I feel like jumped back into the vinyl source world a little fast and probably chose the wrong cartridge (Kiseki Purple Heart on a Kuzma/Feikert Woodpecker).  I’m thinking about upgrading carts and maybe the table too.  I’ve heard good things about the Basis tables. Not a huge fan of the look but could get by that. I’m thinking sub $30K budget for table, arm and cart. Any thoughts on the Basis 2200?  Dynavector XV-1s? Seems the Lyra carts pair well with Vandersteen. I’d like to stay within a somewhat normal 18”x20” format so I can use my HRS platform. Thoughts on what to look at? Music is mostly jazz, rock and occasional classical.  Current phono stage is Zesto Andros Deluxe II and preamp is AR Ref 6SE.

Thanks

• Like 1

I owned the Basis 1400 and LOVED it.  It blew away any table I auditioned under 7k if I recall (was many years ago).  I have often heard the mid prices Basis tables and arms. That Vector 4 is something else and if you can get their Super arm, it’s about as good as arms get.  Jim bought mine and can talk Basis vs so many others.  AJ was as good an engineer/physicist as there was in the business.  I still use a power cord he gave me before he passed and it’s stunning and so simple.  You can’t go wrong with the 2200 and Vector 4 arm, but if the Super arm is in your our budget (no idea how much his gear is anymore), then I’d put that on the shortest of lists as a must audition.  I got mine through Johnny Rutan in Jersey.  I’m sure there are other Vandy dealers you can get one from (who’s your dealer)?  That way you can audition it with your system at the store to get a true idea how it would all sound.  

The Basis has to sit on a special platform and the HRS is the best way to go for my money, so you should be set there as I think it will fit just right on that one.  Great electronic choices too.  I have looked at the Ref 6SE myself, but am waiting on a possible Vandy pre, lol….  Time will tell.

12 hours ago, Delkat said:

My Kento Carbon/M5 combo is all broken in and sounding sweet. I feel like jumped back into the vinyl source world a little fast and probably chose the wrong cartridge (Kiseki Purple Heart on a Kuzma/Feikert Woodpecker).  I’m thinking about upgrading carts and maybe the table too.  I’ve heard good things about the Basis tables. Not a huge fan of the look but could get by that. I’m thinking sub $30K budget for table, arm and cart. Any thoughts on the Basis 2200?  Dynavector XV-1s? Seems the Lyra carts pair well with Vandersteen. I’d like to stay within a somewhat normal 18”x20” format so I can use my HRS platform. Thoughts on what to look at? Music is mostly jazz, rock and occasional classical.  Current phono stage is Zesto Andros Deluxe II and preamp is AR Ref 6SE.

Thanks

Your Vinyl Source is a very personal decision!  There is a big difference between a Dynavector XV-1 and a Lyra and only you should make that choice in the middle of a listening session with your Vandersteen Dealer so you and he can have a discussion on how they differ and which one you will be happiest with.  A public discourse is not the way to make this expensive and personal decision but it is a great way to get some ideas.  RV

• Like 1

That’s the cool thing about this site Richard.  We are all ones who know and trust our own ears.  We ask and it’s fun to share and what not, but in the end, most of us do exactly that. Go to our dealer of choice and listen.  We get to hear everything on our own speakers and usually the amps we use so we can get a true picture of what way we need to go.  It amazes me still how different high end cartridges sound.  Overhang of notes, depth of stage, tonality etc…. Most are great choices, but there are always one or two that are WOW to us all and there is always at least one WOW per person.  I think that’s why I’ve always tried to be so loyal to the dealers I know and trust.  they learn what I like and it’s not always what they like.  

I went back to Johnny when he was talking Rega. I heard the 3 vs a Linn at Gifted Listener as I sent a few of my DC friends to get stuff from over the years.  I just wasn’t a Rega guy and when I told Johnny, he brought out a NOS Basis and I FELL IN LOVE.  The cart had a TON to do with it also as it was much more than I ever thought I could afford etc…. The dealers all know us and what direction we like to go.  

7 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Your Vinyl Source is a very personal decision!  There is a big difference between a Dynavector XV-1 and a Lyra and only you should make that choice in the middle of a listening session with your Vandersteen Dealer so you and he can have a discussion on how they differ and which one you will be happiest with.  A public discourse is not the way to make this expensive and personal decision but it is a great way to get some ideas.  RV

Yes, Randy at Optimal has been taking great care of me and I plan to spend some time with him in his listening room to evaluate the choices. 

Thanks!

• Like 1