My System, 5As in Montclair, NJ

This is my main Vandersteen System. I have a Viella V12 turntable with AMG 12JT tonearm and Hana Umami cartridge, an Ayre P-5xe phono stage, an Ayre QX-5 Twenty DAC, an Ayre KX-5 Twenty Preamp, and an Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier plus an Oppo UDP-205 universal disc player. All this from John Rutan at Verona's own Audio Connection.  I used to have wood Quatros but since there wasn't an upgrade path when the Quatro CT came out I sought out a used pair of 5As. My room is 39' long so it certainly can sustain the bass from the 5As. It's a really wonderful system, thanks to everyone who has made it possible. Oh that's a Nakamichi 630 FM Tuner where the turntable was intended to go in my 1960s Swedish stereo cabinet. It works but doesn't get used much, it's mainly so we don't pile junk in that spot.  

I also have another system with Vandersteen 1s, an ADCOM 545, and an NAD preamp and a third with Vandersteen 2cis, a V2W subwoofer, and a VCC center channel as part of a 5:1 surround sound system in my basement. Plus another system with a Music Reference RM-9 and Carlsson OA-52's, not Vandersteen but worth remarking on since they are quite a different experience altogether.  

IMG_5411.jpeg

Edited by catbiscuits
  • Like 4

Johny R. set them at that this distance. It's a trade off of bass and soundstage. Seems like it works well!

I think the photo makes them look a bit closer than they are.

There's a whole theory that Richard uses that's in his manuals, and then of course there are other issues like a wall of windows over to the left and so on. 

Edited by catbiscuits
  • Like 2

It happened little by little. I have another system in my studio as well. Meanwhile I have a friend who has maybe ten times as many speakers as I do... also I never saw the appeal of multi-room sound, it’s all a question of enjoying music in the living room, library, family/game room in the basement, an exercise area, and my studio. It’s not as crazy as it seems!

• 2 months later...