Streaming Boston's first album in 16/44 and now 32/198

ctsooner

Wow, what a difference.  I haven't really taken too much time doing something like this, but I also did it with Bela Fleck, Cosmic Hippo before I did Boston. I just wanted to see what true differences I would hear.  So much more detail. It's as though the audiophile veils everyone describes were lifted.  I NEED a Vandersteen Preamp badly though.  HA....  I'm dead serious that using Room for volume just isn't the answer, but man my system is rocking.  Streamed some high res Coltrane earlier and was digging it big time.  No walls or boundaries of the system and again, it's with Room volume.  This Brinkmann is a special unit as is my streamer/server and even that's getting a major upgrade very soon.

I can agree with your sentiment.

I use Qobuz through Roon and can hear the difference between Redbook and high rez.

I love classical, and love how many older artists perform, I also love the life and dynamics that high rez formats can offer.

A lot of older material has been reissued in higher rez, but I find most to be disappointing. To me, it seems that new recordings sound much better. 

My take is that older material (pre 21st century), wasn't recorded with enough bandwidth/dynamics that newer recordings can offer.

Bob

• Like 1

Interesting but I get it. I have  no idea why, but it seems to be the case for many recordings that I still love. Bob please make a short list of classical that I may enjoy. I never know what to stream but I do like classical music when at friends houses or stores

On 8/27/2022 at 3:36 AM, ctsooner said:

Wow, what a difference.  I haven't really taken too much time doing something like this, but I also did it with Bela Fleck, Cosmic Hippo before I did Boston. I just wanted to see what true differences I would hear.  So much more detail. It's as though the audiophile veils everyone describes were lifted.  I NEED a Vandersteen Preamp badly though.  HA....  I'm dead serious that using Room for volume just isn't the answer, but man my system is rocking.  Streamed some high res Coltrane earlier and was digging it big time.  No walls or boundaries of the system and again, it's with Room volume.  This Brinkmann is a special unit as is my streamer/server and even that's getting a major upgrade very soon.

Does it really sound better.
Is it more than a feeling? 😎

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, ctsooner said:

Interesting but I get it. I have  no idea why, but it seems to be the case for many recordings that I still love. Bob please make a short list of classical that I may enjoy. I never know what to stream but I do like classical music when at friends houses or stores

I found a violinist named Arabella Steinbacher who I love, so much emotion comes through her playing. My friend who turns me on to classical music says Lisa Batiashvili, is better but I get so much from Arabella I like her better. I don't much but I know what I like.

Edited by Huang
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, ctsooner said:

Just as I was reading your comment, this came on through Amazon Music....the Dvorak No 9 will surly give your Quatro's a workout, and the Moldau is one of the more moving pieces to hear...

Hope you can enjoy!

446022768_No.9_jpeg.thumb.jpeg.5ae63cae7dfc7c4c26d0bb6899a79f7c.jpeg

Not to be a downer, but I have found old recordings being upsampled to high rez just don't have the clarity and punch that recordings made in higher rez offer.

YMMV

And, yes Dvorak's 9th symphony is one of the great pieces of music ever composed- And, based on his experiences in America!

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

Not to be a downer, but I have found old recordings being upsampled to high rez just don't have the clarity and punch that recordings made in higher rez offer.

YMMV

And, yes Dvorak's 9th symphony is one of the great pieces of music ever composed- And, based on his experiences in America!

Bob

Oh, I agree...its just something I like about live recordings made in 1950's and 60's that do try and get the best it can from it.  Some of the Living Stereo reissues are pretty darn good...(both SACD and 45's).

Would you have a high rez recorded version of the 9th you could recommend?  Appreciate it.  David

Edited by Jackstraw75
  • Like 1

Hmmm, 

I will look, but I have to say my heart goes to an old Colin Davis performance with, I think the London Philharmonic. That and an old Horenstein recording. They aren't high rez recordings, but ones that seems to hit all the right points.

One new recording that just came out is the Dudamel with the LA Philharmonic on DG. I haven't listened critically, but overall it sounds pretty good as far as technique goes. And, I am usually impressed with his renditions. I heard the Mahler 10th performed with his 'youth orchestra'. they didn't sound like most youths do- More like a professional orchestra and chorus. I was amazed at their proficiency.

Bob

• Like 2