Subwoofer Asymmetric Placement

@Richard Vandersteen

Hello Richard, I had read about advantages of asymmetric placement of Subwoofers to improve room interactions, and I was wondering if through your work you see any advantage to this approach.  I currently have two V2W woofers placed symmetrically in the space and was about to start experimenting, just wondered if you have any thoughts on this.  Thanks.

I suspect that the set up instruction for the speakers, and placing them at  off fractions of the room, sort of can be interpreted as a being a firm grasp on understanding room modes and interactions. I’d bet a beer on RV having an opinion.

Using measurements one could likely put a mic at the listening position and moving a sub around the room.
Someone not very strong, or at least more prone to laziness, might put the sub at the listening position and move the microphone around the room using the “reciprocity” to avoid a gym workout.

2 hours ago, RS3DG said:

@Richard Vandersteen

Hello Richard, I had read about advantages of asymmetric placement of Subwoofers to improve room interactions, and I was wondering if through your work you see any advantage to this approach.  I currently have two V2W woofers placed symmetrically in the space and was about to start experimenting, just wondered if you have any thoughts on this.  Thanks.

You have set a standard now you can experiment and find the best placement.  Most base is mono so any asymmetry will even out any standing waves created by the dimensions of your space.  Experimenting is cost free so I would.  RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

In almost all the homes that I have lived in, it has always been a challenge to put a rack, the 2CEs and a sub on the same wall. It's not just real estate but also the sound has just been way too bass heavy where the entire house can feel the bass, yet the listener sitting just 10 feet away is not able to get the same effect. Through a lot of experimentation, I have discovered that if your distance from the front speakers is under 12 feet then positioning the sub right behind the furniture where the listener sits has been the most musical. I haven't been successful in my setup for distances longer than 12 feet and have constantly battled between the settings on the subs and the preamp and eventually doubting the equipment, recording and my ears. This goes for 2WQ as well as V2W.  Hopefully,  you can conduct a little more scientific and empirical experiment and tell us what works for you.

• Like 1

Vandersteen secret weapon…measure AND listen….mix in a healthy does of experiments and you will get there. A few observations….

Bass is much more than 120 hz and below, don’t just optimize frequency response at the listening position but destroy imaging and cohesive presentation of harmonics. Listen for those AND bass as you move about. Watch also listening chairs backed close to a wall - those tend to have a null… Easy to hear…and measure…

Have fun…

Best to all

Jim

• Thanks 1

Is it possible to put the sub on the listening chair and measure the locations in the room by mic or ear to find which ones seem best?
Then reciprocity means that swapping the sub and ear, to the floor and listening chair respectively, should be the same…
??

• Like 1