BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB

Steve Edwards

With the help of Ry Cooder, this group of Cuban musicians recorded this in 1996.  The title pays tribute to the original BVSC formed in Havana circa 1932.  Of course, the singing is not in English, but the performances are very good.  All the percussion (one of my favorite elements of music) really shines.

On one of the threads in this wonderful forum, someone asked about which recordings offered outstanding imaging.  This record gets my vote, particularly the depth.  Close your eyes, and you are in the big room with them.  

IMG_2781.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I remember seeing the movie in a fine arts theater back in the early 90s. Ry is a genius, I love all his projects. A Meeting by the River is also a fabulous audiophile recording in vinyl

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bruskie said:

I remember seeing the movie in a fine arts theater back in the early 90s. Ry is a genius, I love all his projects. A Meeting by the River is also a fabulous audiophile recording in vinyl

Agree - Pretty much applies to ANY Water Lily recording…. imo….

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bruskie said:

3 minutes ago, Bruskie said:

Have a few Garsons myself.  Serendipity was on all our TTs back then

i am a late bloomer…. 😉

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, Steve Edwards said:

With the help of Ry Cooder, this group of Cuban musicians recorded this in 1996.  The title pays tribute to the original BVSC formed in Havana circa 1932.  Of course, the singing is not in English, but the performances are very good.  All the percussion (one of my favorite elements of music) really shines.

On one of the threads in this wonderful forum, someone asked about which recordings offered outstanding imaging.  This record gets my vote, particularly the depth.  Close your eyes, and you are in the big room with them.  

IMG_2781.jpg

I have a DVD Audio version of this that is fantastic 👌👌

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 2:23 AM, Steve Edwards said:

IMG_2781.jpg

Ry also did the music for Wim Winder’s Movie “Paris Texas”; which is not the happiest, nor the peek of feel-good, of movies ever to have been released.