Some jazz off the beaten path

ursus13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio, Blues for K.

This recording is pretty special. Just released a couple weeks ago. Exquisite piano jazz by a guy who gets better and better with age. (He’s in his mid 70s.) If you like Bill Evans this is worth a listen. Available streaming.

ABABB523-1C24-401E-90F1-E28A263E3469.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rather than creating a new topic, this seems to be a good place to mention the Jazz album I listen to the most.

"Play Dave Brubeck" by Feenbrothers

SL1032A-1-500x500.jpg.23ac7e7e8cdc819cb016c0f0d5026975.jpg

This is from Sound Liason: https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/14-one-mic-recordings/453-new-the-feen-brothers-one-mic-recording

I listen to a lot of Jazz, but mostly female vocal.  I'm not an expert in Jazz by any means.  I just know what I like.  This is purely instrumental.

This album is the best recorded album in my collection, and it always makes me relax and smile as I listen.  That's the bottom line - how it makes me feel.

This is recorded by a single stereo mic, on a carefully set-up soundstage, before a live audience.  The performance has to blend, as there is no way to fix the mix afterward, so the musicians have to listen to each other, and they seem to give a restrained performance, but with intensity.  The musicianship is excellent, and the performance is just plain fun.

The sound quality is just amazing.  The soundstage is clear in its dimensions, and the instruments sound as they should.  There is no bloated bass, and no harsh highs.  Just realistic sound that you can listen to at low volume or high volume, and still enjoy.  I prefer to listen at a level that approximates what it would be at a live performance, and I close my eyes, and can imagine I'm in the first row.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has enjoyed this album.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi fellow jazz fans,

Three excellent albums I feel like I need to shout about from the rooftop.

image.thumb.jpeg.b73f52bfc25ffe9429c93ed9aa7f5346.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b6ec3d1556c2cc1826bfbdfbe39ef0c0.jpeg

I've never heard a band like Snarky Puppy. It's a veritable killers-row of studio session musicians  (of 25+ members) and they have putting out seriously innovative jazz for 20 years. (I only recently discovered them.)

https://snarkypuppy.com/home

Their vinyl is very good and the customer service from their web store is top notch. They are currently on tour as well, if you want to see them live.

And the third record: I posted about this Scolohofo album earlier in the thread, after I saw them live, but now I have heard this album on vinyl, and I feel confident saying that it is the single best sounding vinyl record I have heard. I have the 180g Blue Note Tone Poet Series 2 LP vinyl. The music is excellent, but the sound quality of this record is staggering.

https://store.bluenote.com/collections/vinyl/products/scolohofo-scofield-lovano-holland-foster-oh-2lp-blue-note-tone-poet-series?_pos=1&_sid=b5038599f&_ss=r

image.thumb.jpeg.1d7a575eff3df0df3e228c4011f5c97c.jpeg

6 hours ago, ursus13 said:

Agreed! Any albums in particular? I’m sure you’ve heard the Like Minds album I mentioned in my first post, it’s fantastic.

Off the top of my head I have :

The Dave Holland Big Band, What Goes Round & Overtime

The Dave Holland Sextet - Pass It On

And an interesting LP with Holland,  John Hartford, and Vasser Clements

But have streamed others of his work, and other LP’s he was on.

A real talent. Always on first rate releases.

Brian

Edited by bkeske

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are two innovative artists/records. Both are available streaming and on vinyl.

The Dominique Fils-Aime record is one of the records I play for people sitting in the sweet spot for the first time. It reliably blows them away. Incredible recording of mostly her jazz style vocals with sparse instrumentation. The Quatro CTs love this record.

McCraven is a jazz drummer and producer. In These Times is refreshing, really slick vanguard jazz with odd meter hip-hop style rhythms. Super cool cutting edge musician.

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...