Some jazz off the beaten path

ursus13

Sharing some jazz albums I keep coming back to lately.

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio. If you like Bill Evans style piano jazz, Yamamoto is surely up your alley. 

Start with Midnight Sugar (1974) and Misty (1974.) Then jump to Autumn in Seattle (2001.) (No photos attached for these albums.)

Tony Allen did a tribute to Art Blakey, I think it was released as a 7”. His rendition of Drum Thunder Suite is incredible, as is Moanin’.

Ray Brown, Soular Energy.

Ahmad Jamal, Montreal Jazz Festival 1985 (live.) I can’t stop listening to this one.

Like Minds, by a murderer’s row of virtuoso players. 

Everything except Tsuyoshi Yamamoto is available on streaming. Digital downloads are avail for Yamamoto if you search. All avail on vinyl.

Enjoy.

E3F0B5DC-15F1-4E4A-BD63-0D1E5F7E591A.jpeg

50D010E8-17A1-49FF-ADDA-36CF8AD11A9B.jpeg

3B08686A-8DA2-4C78-A26E-DBC136047FEF.jpeg

4901C05D-B5D3-4DB2-AEF2-93876BB2D05B.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks.  I love to workout to jazz.  Heading up to elliptical in a few and will stream a couple of these to figure out what I like best. Thanks. very helpful as I never remember what I like (much of that is the MS and my cognitive stuff).  Threads like this help me more than Room in finding what I used to like and also new stuff.  Appreciate everyone's posts a TON.

@ursus13

Ahmad Jamal Llive AT the Montreal Jazz Festival is one my favorite jazz albums....ever.  Nice to see another 'taken' by it as well. The very first track isn't recorded real well, but after that, incredible performances and recordings for a live festival LP.

Ray Brown Solar Energy? An audiophile standard which I use when integrating most any new piece in the rig. Great (music) album too. Ray Brown, and anything he is associated is almost always a winner.

Art Blakey....has he ever but out a bad LP? The guy is/was just incredible. 

I saw Holland mentioned in your last. Pick up some of his solo stuff, or with his various ensembles. Really amazing work over the years.

👍

20 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Loving the recording right now.  I also put two quilts over the TV as they were in the room already.  WOW, what a sound difference.  Just amazing. Rim shots are like I was sitting behind the kit. Thanks.  this will be in my rotation guys.

Glad to hear confirmation of the benefits of covering a TV or screen between the speakers. Those first order reflections can be a killer.

Regarding Soular Energy, I have a question for the family.  As it is one of RV's reference records, I hold it in high regard.  I played side 3 (on the AP 2x45 reissue).  The opening track, MISTREATED BUT UNDEFEATED BLUES, to me, all of Ray's bass lines sounded like thumps instead of notes.  It had been a while since I've played it, but I immediately thought, "oh no, I don't have the subs on my Quatros properly tuned."  On the next track, as well as the remaining two on side 4, I could easily hear the "notes" he was playing.

Has anyone else observed this on that recording? 

I'm at least comforted by the realization that it is what's on the recording, not my system.

Play on

Steve 

Steve, the systems we have put together are so revealing. I too have a momentary freakout  when something on the recording seems out of kilter. Things that were masked or not audible just jump out at you. I can't tell you how many times I thought someone came in the room or hit something. I have not observed the anomaly you mentioned but my version is digital, but a wise man I know ends his posts with some great advice "Play on"!

• Like 1

Hi Steve ( and Rick )…. i use Take the A Train off Soular to set level and Q ( contour )…. i find the balance between instruments better on that track and especially the scaling… BUT i can give you a full refund on Quattro sub setup….

My recollection is we were a bit challenged with a room mode between 40 - 50 hz… with a fair bit of suckout ( minus 6 db or so ). i just listened to both tracks via server redbook rip and the quality of A Train is head and shoulders above  Mistreated ( maybe the engineer took the song title literally )… i do have the AAP vinyil in the Treo / Sub 3 system and will give it a go around Thanksgiving…. bug me IF i forget….

best

Jim

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomicTime said:

BUT i can give you a full refund on Quattro sub setup….

Jim, you're modesty is exceeded only by your keen sense of humor!  Your recollection is clear, I remember you mentioning something going on in the right corner.  Sounds like a great excuse to have you and Trish up for a meal, some vino and a few tunes.  But, you and Rick have put my mind at ease.  The sound quality is different between the two tracks mentioned.  I appreciate both of you.

Play on

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...