What are you listening to?

Oregon

Something a bit different...

I'm not a fan of streaming.  None of the subscription services I've sampled have sounded right to me, so I don't use any of them.

But, I was looking for a way to help break in some system stuff and tried a number of online radio stations.  I find this one to be really good.  Definitely better than background music.

Maine Public Classical

I can listen to it for hours with no fatigue or dissatisfaction.  Very listenable, as they say.  Fairly transparent with a surprising soundstage.  I'm not suggesting that it's as good as an original tape, but it's very nice.  I'm not normally a fan of classical music, but this station makes it very appealing.  My wife loves it.

Here in Arizona we have a Public Classical station....I get it through my 

Ecobee thermostat... has a very small mono speaker "system"....but when I'm not seriously. listening it's great to have that great music surrounding me all over the house.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, John Gallup said:

Thanks for this. Didn't know there were differing versions of #5. #2 is a long-time favorite.

#2 is desert island for me as well.  

Edited by Jackstraw75
None
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bkeske said:

Something different for the day, but beautiful 

IMG-1012.jpg

Heard Terry Gross interview him on NPR years ago and was fascinated, so I bought the autobiography (Words Without Music) he was describing. It was a great read. You learn, for instance, that when he was starting out in New York and had no money, he worked at a plumbing supply house and learned enough to go out and do plumbing on his own. That's how he met the sculptor Richard Serra, whom he taught to work with molten lead. He wound up being Serra's studio assistant for some years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Gallup said:

Heard Terry Gross interview him on NPR years ago and was fascinated, so I bought the autobiography (Words Without Music) he was describing. It was a great read. You learn, for instance, that when he was starting out in New York and had no money, he worked at a plumbing supply house and learned enough to go out and do plumbing on his own. That's how he met the sculptor Richard Serra, whom he taught to work with molten lead. He wound up being Serra's studio assistant for some years. 

For a brief time I was fascinated by Cage and Glass in the early-mid 70’s…..but it never fully ‘clicked’. Recently I have been exposing myself to Glass’ work again, and find some of it really incredible, beautiful, and at times, very complex….but it works. Pleased I rediscovered. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackstraw75 said:

An awesome album that’s seemingly unnoticed….

Not by me, but I'm a big Jorma (and Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna) fanboy, enjoyed his autobiography, followed his on-line quarantine concerts, etc. The first track ("Genesis") mixes fingerstyle guitar and strings in an unexpectedly beautiful way.

36900363.jpg

• Thanks 1