2 CE SIG lll vs TRIO

22 hours ago, ghamilton said:

Is the TREO  twice as good as the 2CE SIG lll?

At twice the price it should be!

Loving my new Sig lll

I’m not great with math but I’ll take a crack at it….

• A treo to model 2 ratio would be 3:2, so it should be 50%?
  • Think a Quatro maybe twice as good being a 4:2 ratio of quatro/2

Stay tuned, as the next lesson is in irrational numbers.😁

When set up correctly, the 2’s are very very special. They are worthy of top shelf electronics, but you can still enjoy with a Rotel or NAD integrated or all in one.  Naim is a nice match. 

Treo is in a totally different class. What is twice as good?  50%?  There is no way to make that type of judgment. If you can afford the electronics and Treo CT, it’s a no brainer to most on this board as we all love the coherence and T&P correctness of  Vandersteen’s. 

It’s hard to listen to a lesser speaker when you hear the more expensive one in any line (most of the time as many lines use many different designers). 

jmho

• Like 2

So true Bob.  That's why the new 2's and the VLR's are so special.  Heck, you have and love the non CT version, but when you add the CT tweeter, it takes them to a new level. I've heard the CT version with one sub 3 once and was in shock at what I heard.  Yes, when you have the research that Richard puts into all his speakers, it's pretty cool for the cost.  I try to think of what other systems I could put together for the cost of my Quatro's and M5 amps and there are few speaker/amp combo's I've heard that are close for the cost.  It may not seem like it, but I'm one of those who can appreciate most speakers/systems for what they DO and not what they omit.  I enjoy listening to Wilson's when I visit dealers who carry them, but I always keep coming back to Steen's as I like the omissions Richard choses (every speaker has to make compromises as we know).  

Trios and 2CE Sig IIIs are different animals. They don't sound the same. It's up to you to listen to both with music you're familiar with. They have to be setup properly.

The 2CE Sig IIIs were right for me. I listened to the trios years ago. I doubt they were perfectly setup, but most obvious difference was the 2CE Sig IIIs went deeper into the bass. I couldn't justify paying more and getting less bass response. Not everyone would make this choice. They would likely have different reasons for buying one over the other. I am more prone to look into quatros for an upgrade since subs won't work in my setup. I doubt quatros will work in my listening space. But then again, they might.

I don't regret owning 2CE Sig IIIs over trios. I like reading about other owners experiences listening to their Treos. Usually they have a subwoofer, which would be a game changer for me. If comparing the two setups the way I would like to own, I would compare the 2CE Sig IIIs to a pair of Treos with a sub.

I'm interested in whether you audition the Treos and what you think about sound vs. 2CE Sig IIIs. That is, if you choose to.

Cheers! 🍷

• Like 1

For those who think the Quatro's may not work in your space, I have to say they should.  Because of the tunable subs in them, you can fit them up close to any wall and dial in your bass.  If you have the 2's, I'm very sure you can easily set up the Quatro's properly.  

The Treo is a much more refined speaker.  The carbon stewed just can't be overlooked.  The bass on the Treo's is pretty darn deep as long as they are set up correctly.  It's tuneful and 'tight' compared to the 2's.  I guess the 2's move more air, but the bass isn't in the same league as the Treo IMHO.  For the cost of the 2's, it's a very good value, but Treo's are nearly 10k for a reason and it's not all the cabinet and carbon tweeter.

Always prudent advice to listen at some length and decide.

I think IF you can make a 2 work in a room, you can absolutely get the Quattro to work . One thing to keep in mind w high pass filter, your mid bass and up amplifier instantly goes into what i call Vandersteen loafing mode ( copyright …. just kidding ). This not only results in massive increase in headroom but greatly improves midrange clarity….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1