Model 1Ci+ Amp Pairing

Sort depends on room size, how far away one is, and how happy with the volume knob one gets.
If you have a sound meter or even an iphone app, it would be easier say with certainty.

The 2C gets in the high 90s in a modest sized room about 10’ away with a 44w/channel tube amp, so the 1C should get 90dB I would think.
if it is bass heavy music then putting a sub into the system would be worthwhile. And those older 2W Vandy sub are floating around used.

What do listen to though? And how loud?

Thanks for the response.

These would be in a smaller room roughly 6'-7' from the listening position.  I listen to most everything with the exception of Electronic and Rap. Basically if people are actually playing instruments I'll give it a listen.  Tidal and Spotify have really opened that up for me.  Classic rock to the 80's and some of the classic country are primarily what I listen to.

Just did a quick measure but I rarely get over 90db.

Thanks ctsooner.  That might be the plan. I recently purchased the Model 2Ce Signature III for my living room and have been completely spoiled by the sound.  Now my speakers in my office which I loved just don't cut it.  The 2Ce's ruined me. 🙂 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeInGA said:

Now my speakers in my office which I loved just don't cut it.

You might also want to check out the VLR's. I use them in my office and find them remarkably engaging.-So much so, that I now don't use the Treo's that much. They are also meant to be placed near the wall/corners, so space savings are included.

Bob

• Like 1

Hadn't thought about that but will if I can get a listen.  Never bought a speaker I haven't listened to first.  I will check with the dealer here to see if they have some. I have listened to the 1Ci's for a couple of hours.  I listened to the 2Ce's I bought well over 4 hours prior to purchase.  I 

5 hours ago, MikeInGA said:

Thanks ctsooner.  That might be the plan. I recently purchased the Model 2Ce Signature III for my living room and have been completely spoiled by the sound.  Now my speakers in my office which I loved just don't cut it.  The 2Ce's ruined me. 🙂 

I would demand an apology from someone 🙄

8 hours ago, MikeInGA said:

Thanks for the response.

These would be in a smaller room roughly 6'-7' from the listening position….
….
Just did a quick measure but I rarely get over 90db.

^Me too^ - but is that the general “look at the meter” or some peak?
The “look at the meter” for me is often 85dB when at a spirited level… and 65-76 at more moderate levels.

So it (10W) should be enough power then…
Basically 1W will drive them at their spec of 90dB/“watt” at 1M away

At 2Ms away, then 1W drops to 84dB SPL
https://www.herramientasingenieria.com/onlinecalc/noise_distance/noise_distance.html
and I think that adding the second speaker give +3dB over a single speaker, so the stereo pair is then up at 87dB.

However the peak power is usually 13dB (or more) than RMS so your 10W amp might put out 10W RMS with a tone, and clip at the 10+W peak… and hence you can run 1/2W RMS and just about kiss clipping.
Hence; the you should be able to do 84dB RMS and peaks of ~97dB
(and similarly my 44/88W amp should be at 90-93dB and peaks of 103-106dB. Which I occasionally do it like 85-87dB and 102dB peaks)

8 hours ago, MikeInGA said:

I listen to most everything with the exception of Electronic and Rap. …

for me.  Classic rock to the 80's and some of the classic country are primarily what I listen to.

Why is Rap always given a “bad rap”…

Any bass heavy music would benefit from the Vandy sub, as the crossover (XO) knocks the signal down by 3-6dB… so you get comfortably back up to around 90dB.
And the older 2W subs come up used along with the older Vandy RCA crossover. .. (sub is ~18” cube)
If you found one for a couple hundred it could be worth a try.
And some other stuff like lower IMD and Doppler distortion trickling into the upper registers,

I am not actually using this RCA XO at the moment, but I found the banana plugs I need.
The XO part of the Vandy sub approach.

DB05711E-C65E-4558-9968-2ED6DE61B406.jpeg

• Like 1

There is a poster on FB/Vandy page who asked about what amp to drive his speakers (forget which model).  I think it was 2's.  I mentioned the typical, NAD, Rotel and Belles (covers three easy price ranges).  He questioned me on not having enough watts to drive the speaker and was talking about 150+ watts if I recall (I may be off, but it was using at least 100w).  I tried to explain that they are very easy to drive and MANY use amps under 100w and LOVE the sound.  After all it's called a system for a reason.  I invited him over here to ask us all.  I haven't seen him post here yet, but this thread would be the PERFECT one for the poster to read.  

I remember hearing the 2's in the mid 90's with the $400 NAD integrated amp and an entry Sota table (was the Moonbeam?) that the dealer was selling used.  It just made music.  We played plenty of hard rock as I LOVE my rock.  Then he switched to fusion jazz and then Jazz at the Pawn Shop from Sweden (I'm sure we all have a copy somewhere).   To finish the day (yes a whole day) we put on a large orchestral piece.  I was flabbergasted by the sound I heard for the cost.  I seriously thought about selling my Proac Super towers (rewired with MIT internal wire), but was talked out of it by the dealer.  Sorry, but this thread brought up a cool memory, lol.  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...