alcohydro2's System

New member here, long time lurker, learner. This has been a nearly 4 year journey to get to this point and I've enjoyed the road to get here and the help this forum has provided has been immeasurable. I jumped in to Vandersteen with the Quatro Wood CT. Other equipment, Audio Research Ref 5 upgraded to SE, Audio Research Ref 150 SE, Brytson BIT15 Power Isolation, Benchmark DAC3L, Aurender N100H, VPI Prime TT and Parasound Halo JC 3 Jr. Phono Pre. Cables include: Audioquest Fire, Pre to Amp. Audioquest Thunderbird BiWire speaker. Audioquest Diamond USB, and Audioquest Wind, DAC to Pre The turntable is not set up yet as I've spent all my time focusing on the room set up and speaker set up. I'm regularly blown away with how this system performs, simply amazing. Thanks for the education!

Back.jpeg

Equipment.jpeg

Front.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, nymarty said:

Welcome @alcohydro2!  Great system and great looking room. What were you listening to before the Quattros?  Also…  Very interested in your diffusers.  Who makes them?  Thanks.

Thanks nymarty! After many many years of being patient the Quatros were a big jump for me, I had PSB Alphas. For the diffusers, I built them myself based on plans I purchased from Acoustic Fields.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alcohydro2 said:

Thanks nymarty! After many many years of being patient the Quatros were a big jump for me, I had PSB Alphas. For the diffusers, I built them myself based on plans I purchased from Acoustic Fields.

Well you are not the only one that can swing the tools.
Some of fellows are “a bit” more skilled than me/I, but good-onya… that looks pretty o’rioght.
How does much does it help the sound?

There is a nice vib in that room too.

18 hours ago, Holmz said:

Well you are not the only one that can swing the tools.
Some of fellows are “a bit” more skilled than me/I, but good-onya… that looks pretty o’rioght.
How does much does it help the sound?

There is a nice vib in that room too.

Thanks Holmz! I like the vibe quite a bit, super chill. I think the diffusers help in a lot of ways. I've moved, experimented with many different positions and where they are provide a wide, deep soundstage in the front and its as if there's no rear wall at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gsal said:

Hello and welcome.

Beautiful system.

I don't believe you mentioned your cartridge. Could you elaborate?

Thanks Gsal, I have the Hana ML cartridge. I can't offer an opinion on either the TT or the cart as I've not spun any vinyl on this system. Anxious to hear it tho. I'm saving for a good ultrasonic record cleaning unit before doing much there.

I appreciate cozy- and inviting-looking rooms like yours. Well done! Vandersteen’s with powered and EQ-able bass sections are among the few loudspeakers out there that can be placed so deep into corners, or more generally close to wall barriers, and still sound tremendous. Once you achieve comfort with the (re-)EQ’ing process using Vandertones, the placement options really open up. I also own and routinely enjoy Quatro Wood CT’s.

Edited by Schuesmp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alcohydro2 said:

Thanks Gsal, I have the Hana ML cartridge. I can't offer an opinion on either the TT or the cart as I've not spun any vinyl on this system. Anxious to hear it tho. I'm saving for a good ultrasonic record cleaning unit before doing much there.

I think a few of us have them.
I got an ultrasonic tank and some parts from florida that are USB powered…
Still need to set it up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alcohydro2 said:

A fine cartridge so I'm told. I have a Sound-Smith Paua II and am considering a Lyra Kleos but the Hana Umami was also suggested. BTW I have the Kirmus cleaning system. Labor intensive but it really does the job. Your system is so good that if I may, I'd strongly suggest that you get involved with Wally Analog when you go to set up your turntable and cart. It really is the only correct way to set up an analog rig IMHO. Happy listening!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gsal said:

A fine cartridge so I'm told. I have a Sound-Smith Paua II and am considering a Lyra Kleos but the Hana Umami was also suggested. BTW I have the Kirmus cleaning system. Labor intensive but it really does the job. Your system is so good that if I may, I'd strongly suggest that you get involved with Wally Analog when you go to set up your turntable and cart. It really is the only correct way to set up an analog rig IMHO. Happy listening!

There's a Hana Blue that has been introduced that sits between the M series and the Umami. Would be worth checking that out as well..

On 2/21/2023 at 7:22 PM, Schuesmp said:

I appreciate cozy- and inviting-looking rooms like yours. Well done! Vandersteen’s with powered and EQ-able bass sections are among the few loudspeakers out there that can be placed so deep into corners, or more generally close to wall barriers, and still sound tremendous. Once you achieve comfort with the (re-)EQ’ing process using Vandertones, the placement options really open up. I also own and routinely enjoy Quatro Wood CT’s.

Thanks Schuesmp. During the setup, I tended to be super patient leaving the speakers in one spot for weeks to determine if it sounded 'right'. I believe I got the idea of moving them out to the corners from a John Rutan post I saw somewhere and there they stayed.

• Thanks 1

I used an US cleaner that I built and it made a HUGE difference. I like a vacuum cleaner in edition and in between US cleaning. Thanks for sharing. 

The Klimas unit is outstanding. There is a professional cleaner that Jon Spelt in Milwaukee uses and those on here who send their best albums to him swear it’s the best.