A bit loud at the concert.

Holmz

Twas a bit loud at the concert, Sunday night.

I whacked in the Etymotics sound protection sleeves pretty quick, as the opening act was encouraging it.
My friends had an Apple Watch and the other had a Fit Bit… and they got 115dB peaks.

It was still pretty loud with ear protection in place.

The Chris Isaak song “Wicked Game” was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bdYimAfMA

8352AD73-95A7-4812-B204-BD6DA0CC5335.jpeg

• Like 1

NOT GOOD!  Levels this high are unfortunately very common and not good for future Hi-Fi customers.  Years ago, my special 30 dB ear plugs from my racing days were not adequate anymore, so we quit going to concerts unless they were small unamplified venues.   Hearing loss has been proven to be mostly caused by loud unprotected exposure above 85 dB!  Please be careful.  RV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

NOT GOOD!  Levels this high are unfortunately very common and not good for future Hi-Fi customers.  Years ago, my special 30 dB ear plugs from my racing days were not adequate anymore, so we quit going to concerts unless they were small unamplified venues.   Hearing loss has been proven to be mostly caused by loud unprotected exposure above 85 dB!  Please be careful.  RV

Yeah RV - I indeed read your impassioned note at the end of most of the manuals.

I got myself about 1/2 dozen of these… and still have to hunt to find em… and I got em well before reading the impassioned note.

A few in the shed near the power tools, one in the car for when I go to the Men’s Shed.
For the leaf blower and mower, and whipper snipper (line cutter).

https://www.etymotic.com/product/etyplugs-high-fidelity-earplugs/

And got the kiddies a pair each as well.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:24 AM, BKDad said:

No Android version?  It's okay, I already have my own free-standing SPL meter, but of course the phone version would be more convenient.

Last night we went to hear the Quartetto di Cremona at the La Jolla Music Society's brand-new 500-seat concert hall, and seated near the back I felt the music wasn't quite as loud as I'd have preferred, but I'm not a regular listener to chamber music. Before an encore performance the musicians talked a bit and we couldn't hear them at all. I understand why rock musicians wear earplugs when they perform, but I confess it's hard to imagine myself going to a concert where I have to wear earplugs. Seems like wearing welding glasses at the art museum.

The hall's a lot prettier than it looks in this picture.

Homepage-masthead-1.jpg

Edited by John Gallup
Remove excess space
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, John Gallup said:

... I understand why rock musicians wear earplugs when they perform, but I confess it's hard to imagine myself going to a concert where I have to wear earplugs. Seems like wearing welding glasses at the art museum.

Well I suppose concert is the wrong phrase, as it was more of a show.
But punk rock, blues, etc all bring something different to the table.

I recall a Springsteen ‘show’ that was loud, and a few others in the 80s.
Not knowing who they cater to it is easier to just bring the ear plugs.

That LaJolla venue looks nice.

It’s probably not everyone’s taste, but it sounds just fine on a set of 2C.

• Like 2