Adjusting the Room Compensation controls in Vandersteen Quatro CTs 

I am the happy new owner of a pair of Vandersteen Quatro Cts and a pair of M5-HPA monoblocks. The Quatros are amazing speakers, and the amps are just wonderful. The combination is perfect and they produce pure music.

I don’t have a Vandersteen dealer nearby with the experience of setting the room compensation controls, so I’d like to request the help of other Quatro’s owners by sharing their experience in setting them.

This is a somehow complicated procedure but not that hard. As Richard says in the manual “Owners take your time, its possible.” I am trying but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right. However, I think that following the video posted by Richard, and the instructions in the manual, I should be able to do it. In another post of this forum, I’ve explained the main issue I have encountered, which is the setting of the reference volume. It seems that somebody else has had the same issue. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any new comments. The post is “Vandertones Tk 9, 10 ,11 (https://forum.vandersteen.com/topic/1014-vandertones-tk-9-10-11/#comment-8973)

What I’m requesting now is that you share your experience in setting the procedure for room compensation if you’ve done it, as well as any comments that you may have. Were you happy with the results? Did you hear a major or a minor difference between before and after. Did you do it yourself or with the help of a technician? If you didn’t do it, why didn’t you? 

Any suggestions, comments, experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

For now, enjoy the music!

Leonardo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leo hi-fi said:

I am the happy new owner of a pair of Vandersteen Quatro Cts and a pair of M5-HPA monoblocks. The Quatros are amazing speakers, and the amps are just wonderful. The combination is perfect and they produce pure music.

I don’t have a Vandersteen dealer nearby with the experience of setting the room compensation controls, so I’d like to request the help of other Quatro’s owners by sharing their experience in setting them.

This is a somehow complicated procedure but not that hard. As Richard says in the manual “Owners take your time, its possible.” I am trying but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right. However, I think that following the video posted by Richard, and the instructions in the manual, I should be able to do it. In another post of this forum, I’ve explained the main issue I have encountered, which is the setting of the reference volume. It seems that somebody else has had the same issue. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any new comments. The post is “Vandertones Tk 9, 10 ,11 (https://forum.vandersteen.com/topic/1014-vandertones-tk-9-10-11/#comment-8973)

What I’m requesting now is that you share your experience in setting the procedure for room compensation if you’ve done it, as well as any comments that you may have. Were you happy with the results? Did you hear a major or a minor difference between before and after. Did you do it yourself or with the help of a technician? If you didn’t do it, why didn’t you? 

Any suggestions, comments, experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

For now, enjoy the music!

Leonardo

Leo, this is not important to get exact, but you pick any volume that results in more than half of the bands are over 70dB on the Meter when filling in the uncorrected room column.  Then proceed to do the math and fill in the Target column.  Adjust the pots starting at the lower frequencies fist in the order they are on the Vandertones to the target value as best you can.  Done!  RV

• Like 1

I do it myself. And i help others, in person and via facetime, snail mail, passenger pigeon, etc… It’s free. I am retired, keeps my mind sharp. 

As RV says don’t overthink the initial volume setting, as you will in all cases never have perfectly flat response at listening position…. 

Get it 50/50 plus or minus 1, it’s not a best fit the line scenario….

Impact ? Depends greatly on the room, location of the speakers and to some degree musical and personal tastes… One BIG advantage  you have many more placement / WAF options, THEN dial in bass.

I have heard relatively subtle to dramatic changes…. the average sonic change is worth running EQ.

The manual and videos have a lot of wisdom, especially the asymmetrical cut vs boost…. filling holes eats amplifier power… and perfectly flat over EQ is also be be avoided…. 

dont try to get within 1 db of flat…… 

Screen mirror can help you see SPL meter at listening position while you are spinning dials but use the step by step track by track method as RV stated……

Best

Jim

• Like 2

Thank you, Richard, for the advice. I will try setting the controls this week with the help of a friend.

Jim, thanks for the comment. It would be great to have you helping me in person. Are you close to Portland, Oregon? We would also could do it by pigeon if you prefer 😂. I'm retired too, so I also have plenty of time for this wonderful hobby as this is (in fact, I believe that music is not just a hobby, it is essential, at least, for me). 

Isn't it great to be retired? 👍 🎻

• Like 1

Leo - Ya man 🙂 Retired is Fantastic…and with great music - LIFE is good. I frequent Portland now and then… have two fast friends / audiophiles / music lover buddies in Portland area.  We spend summers in Seattle, so stay in touch. Give me a call if i can get you over any issues w tuning / setup. PM for contact info 🙂

best to you

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the comments. I'd like to report that I have been successful in adjusting the room compensation controls. The confusing part was setting the initial level that is the reference volume for the adjustment. After that, it's just a matter of patience and do a careful adjustment. I had the help of a friend so that make things easier. 

The bass now is amazing. It would seem that the instrument is in my listening room. The low-frequency level and the contour controls are also very helpful in getting the perfect bass for one's taste. 

Now I can relax and enjoy the music. Thanks again to all of you.

Jim, next time you are in Seattle, let me know. Maybe we can get together. Best.

• Like 2