At long last, Model 7 Mk 2's have arrived

On 3/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, TomicTime said:

😉 Congratulations - You are enjoying the music and the journey !,,,,, The 7 has an amazing purity and very low distortion….. love your room……. best to you

Jim

Yes, well put. They sound silken and ultra clean and ultra revealing and they sure let me enjoy classical music a lot more.  I listen to a lot of massed strings so I’m a glutton for punishment. But now I can tolerate them a whole lot longer without having to take a break! I do suspect that I’m particularly sensitive to the presence region, perhaps more so than others.

So much has been written about how spectacular they sound, so I’m trying not repeat anything. So I’ll make this observation - I think I can now more clearly hear how the rest of the system changes as it warms up, such as the turntable bearing grease warming up, which improves micro speed consistency, as well as the cartridge armature warming up. Both changes bring a more relaxed effect to the sound, which is now even more clearly conveyed. 

I’m  also awestruck at how realistic piano now sounds, which is a very tough instrument to reproduce convincingly.

As an upgrade compulsive audiophile, I’m a little spooked at the possibility that this is my final set of speakers! Oh wait, there’s the XTRM, but they are safely out of my budget for the foreseeable future,

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peter C said:

As an upgrade compulsive audiophile, I’m a little spooked at the possibility that this is my final set of speakers!

I, too, have the same exact sentiment, albeit with Treo's.

11 hours ago, Peter C said:

I’m  also awestruck at how realistic piano now sounds,

And, female vocals.

Bob

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Bob, won’t you be buying my Quatro’s once I upgrade to Kenton’s lol?

I would if I could fit them in the room. The extra depth makes them a bit of a tight fit with the baby grand behind it. The Treo's seem to be the limit.

B

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Peter C said:

Yes, well put. They sound silken and ultra clean and ultra revealing and they sure let me enjoy classical music a lot more.  I listen to a lot of massed strings so I’m a glutton for punishment. But now I can tolerate them a whole lot longer without having to take a break! I do suspect that I’m particularly sensitive to the presence region, perhaps more so than others.

So much has been written about how spectacular they sound, so I’m trying not repeat anything. So I’ll make this observation - I think I can now more clearly hear how the rest of the system changes as it warms up, such as the turntable bearing grease warming up, which improves micro speed consistency, as well as the cartridge armature warming up. Both changes bring a more relaxed effect to the sound, which is now even more clearly conveyed. 

I’m  also awestruck at how realistic piano now sounds, which is a very tough instrument to reproduce convincingly.

As an upgrade compulsive audiophile, I’m a little spooked at the possibility that this is my final set of speakers! Oh wait, there’s the XTRM, but they are safely out of my budget for the foreseeable future,

I am unsurprised, but I would like to see some distortion measurements.

The deal with the pistonic drivers, and carbon tweeters is to get rid of breakup modes.
Any high frequency distortion and IMD generally is either liked as being ”exciting”, or is tough on the ears… depending on the listener preferences.

and… all that “extra stuff” also makes a piano and vocals loose seem less convincing to many.

• Like 1

Watch the laser scan video of the Vandy Balsa / CF cone vs a unnamed but lets just say expensive driver, watch for red and develop your own “ distortion “ measurement…. just keep in mind by definition 100% out of phase = 100% …… distortion……

The 7 are super revealing back to the source….. truth tellers…. there are many audiophiles who don’t want to hear truth. I am fine w flavorizing by picking “ distortion the listener likes “…. but it isn’t moving the ball of accurate sound reproduction…forward…

Just my $1.50…. might be more…i NEED bedrock next…..

love music

best to all.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Way cool.

As Eric Cartman would say,

Sweeeet!😉

They look so good, can't they go upstairs?

Bob

I would love to put them in the living room but she would never accept that. Actually since they look so great, maybe she would! But all the other equipment would need to stay downstairs, ha ha. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomicTime said:

Watch the laser scan video of the Vandy Balsa / CF cone vs a unnamed but lets just say expensive driver, watch for red and develop your own “ distortion “ measurement…. just keep in mind by definition 100% out of phase = 100% …… distortion……

Only for Thiel, Spika, Vandy, Quad, and some other poeple.
And everyone else ignores phase.

And if the out of phase part is cancelling, then that might show in speaker radiation, and also in amplitude variation… But it seems like there could possibly be lower distortion harmonics… whether it is HD or IMD.

• Like 1