AMP for 3A sig

Hi all. I’m looking to upgrade my amp for my 3A Sig.,  currently driven by a 20 year old Plinius 8200 MK ii integrated. I live in Netherlands, so options are limited: no Vandy dealers where I can demo, no Belles, and Aesthetix available only in Germany.  ARC  are out of budget, and used are almost non-existent here.  After looking  at recommendations on Vandy forum threads as well as the electronics that are carried by USA  Vandy dealers, I’m considering Ayre AX5-twenty integrated, Aesthetix Mimas  (available in Germany) , and Sim Audio separates (390 pre and 760a amp).  I’m leaning toward the Sim Audio because they’re separates vs integrated  but welcome the conventional wisdom of this group. My listening space is 12’ x 20’ and music preference is rather eclectic: soft jazz, classical, folk, new age, and not noise shattering listening levels. 

I don't recommend integrated amplifier especially on the 3A Sig as they are 4 ohm in the bass and need amplifier control.  Use mono blocks (or stereo amp between the speakers) so the speaker wire can be as short (can save enough money to buy a better amp as possible.  The most significant wire in any system is the speaker wire because current is high and wire length has a big effect on the ability to control the speaker.  Owners have reported significant sonic improvements just by shortening their speaker wire length.  RV

• Like 1

Thank you, RV, for your insight.  Your comments about integrateds, which I’ve seen in other threads, are exactly why I’m leaning toward the Moon separates.  I’ve also considered their 400M monoblocks, and that remains an option, though I did not mention that in my original post.

• Like 1

Greetings to you. As a gardener, I would love to visit your country, but buying your tulip bulbs has sufficed, to date. 😉

You seemed to have a good grasp on what amps work well with our speakers. Ayre, Aesthetix, Belles are very good options.

Are you aware of the site HifiShark? It has worldwide listings that can be narrowed down to region.

I have used it to buy just about all my equipment, though this is in the US- can't say how things work over in Europe (seller honesty, etc).

Though current listings may not have what you want, just be patient, eventually it will come up for sale (and use the 'Sold' section to get an idea on current pricing).

Bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dutch Don said:

Hi all. I’m looking to upgrade my amp for my 3A Sig.,  currently driven by a 20 year old Plinius 8200 MK ii integrated. I live in Netherlands, so options are limited: no Vandy dealers where I can demo, no Belles, and Aesthetix available only in Germany.  ARC  are out of budget, and used are almost non-existent here.  After looking  at recommendations on Vandy forum threads as well as the electronics that are carried by USA  Vandy dealers, I’m considering Ayre AX5-twenty integrated, Aesthetix Mimas  (available in Germany) , and Sim Audio separates (390 pre and 760a amp).  I’m leaning toward the Sim Audio because they’re separates vs integrated  but welcome the conventional wisdom of this group. My listening space is 12’ x 20’ and music preference is rather eclectic: soft jazz, classical, folk, new age, and not noise shattering listening levels. 

I have the Simaudio 390 pre and 760A with Treo CT's until my Kento's are in, so I have some confirmation bias. I'm very happy with the combo. The 390 has a very good phono pre amp section and DAC. You get lots of settings options to customize the 390.  I tested Parasound Halo P6 with Halo A23, Lyngdorf-3400 and NAD M33 I own all the equipment so I did a month listening session each. The Simaudio won out by a mile. I think it's because there is no feedback so it keeps things time and phase correct. The Parasound and Lyngdorf were good, the Lyngdorf surprisingly has better bass and Parasound mids. The NAD was a disaster in fact I sent it out to get tested and it came back 100% functioning fine. The tech agreed it just sounded bad no life, no bass no magic at all.

• Like 2

Hi Bob.  Yes, in another couple of weeks the tulip fields will be ablaze in color.   Quite a spectacular sight. I am familiar with Hi Fi Shark and have explored it, though it isn’t used much here.  Instead, most people here use a site that is specific to NL and Belgium.  Still, Hi Fi Shark is possible for items throughout Europe, so at least the voltage will be correct and I can have an item shipped.    I’ll certainly continue looking there until I actually decide which way I want to go.

17 hours ago, chris1625 said:

I have the Simaudio 390 pre and 760A with Treo CT's until my Kento's are in, so I have some confirmation bias. I'm very happy with the combo. The 390 has a very good phono pre amp section and DAC. You get lots of settings options to customize the 390.  I tested Parasound Halo P6 with Halo A23, Lyngdorf-3400 and NAD M33 I own all the equipment so I did a month listening session each. The Simaudio won out by a mile. I think it's because there is no feedback so it keeps things time and phase correct. The Parasound and Lyngdorf were good, the Lyngdorf surprisingly has better bass and Parasound mids. The NAD was a disaster in fact I sent it out to get tested and it came back 100% functioning fine. The tech agreed it just sounded bad no life, no bass no magic at all.

Hi feedback designs will always have better bass.  This is why it is so important to have short speaker wires with amplifiers that don't use feedback to help control woofers.  Our M7-HPA and M5-HPA mono block amplifiers are shipped with 30-inch speaker interfaces for stability and woofer control.  RV

• Like 3

I love the Simaudio gear with Vandersteen's.  Jon, in Milwaukee sells Simaudio.  I went from the AX5/20 with built in crossover to the M5's with a 3' speaker run.  I tried them with the 8' run I used to own as it was the William Tell Silver just like my 3' run.  The shorter run was so much better and I was shocked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1