Help!!! - Difference between dip switch settings on the M5-HP cover and the manual

I have a pair of 2wq's and am trying to get them to blend in with the 2CEs using the M5-HP's but something seems to be off. I went through the Vandertone's exercise and although the voltage seems to match for the tracks at 100 and 80Hz, there's definitely something missing. I saw this link: https://www.vandersteen.com//media/files/Manuals/M5HP_2Wq.pdf and noticed that the settings on the box are different. I can take the old fashioned brute force method and try combinations suggested in the manual as well as on the cover but wanted to save myself the hassle and ask what's the real source of truth here... Also, not to mention, the input impedance on the amp is 100k but the using Vandertone's method worked on 20k.

Edited by stratocaster
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stratocaster said:

I have a pair of 2wq's and am trying to get them to blend in with the 2CEs using the M5-HP's but something seems to be off. I went through the Vandertone's exercise and although the voltage seems to match for the tracks at 100 and 80Hz, there's definitely something missing. I saw this link: https://www.vandersteen.com//media/files/Manuals/M5HP_2Wq.pdf and noticed that the settings on the box are different. I can take the old fashioned brute force method and try combinations suggested in the manual as well as on the cover but wanted to save myself the hassle and ask what's the real source of truth here... Also, not to mention, the input impedance on the amp is 100k but the using Vandertone's method worked on 20k.

stratocaster, there were several different M5-HP(B)'s made over the last 20 years!  When you did the Vandertones test (in my opinion mandatory) you just verified the importance of this test.  Your results tell us that your amplifiers actual input impedance at 80Hz is 20k not the manufacture's stated 100k!  Most competent manufactures are more accurate than this but it drives home the importance of doing the test.  RV

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

IMG_6119.jpeg

Forgot to state the importance of using the switch settings on the cover of the M5 over any printed info or hearsay for this reason.  If you had posted the required photo of your system (bad moderator) I would be able to comment on your particular amplifier, if I have any experience.  RV

• Like 1

@Richard Vandersteen thanks for putting me on the right path. My preamp is a tube Manley Shrimp and the amp is a Mccormack DNA 1. The suggested input impedance is 100k but for some reason I got the tones to fall in place at the 20Hz setting on the switches which is what led me to the manual and the subsequent confusion. In any case, I pulled another one of my DNA1's (my spare one) and that clocked in accurately at 100hz using the Vandertones. So my suspicion is that there's something off with the first amp. Guess I will be paying Steve a visit. I think I am good now since things are sounding waaaaay better than before. Thanks as always...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Richard Vandersteen thanks for putting me on the right path. My preamp is a tube Manley Shrimp and the amp is a Mccormack DNA 1. The suggested input impedance is 100k but for some reason I got the tones to fall in place at the 20Hz setting on the switches which is what led me to the manual and the subsequent confusion. In any case, I pulled another one of my DNA1's (my spare one) and that clocked in accurately at 100hz using the Vandertones. So my suspicion is that there's something off with the first amp. Guess I will be paying Steve a visit. I think I am good now since things are sounding waaaaay better than before. Thanks as always...

Obviously your two DNA-1 amplifiers have different input circuits.   The Vandertones test works so you should be able to get a proper mix/balance with either of your DNA-1 amplifiers as long as you have the M5-HPB set correctly, i.e. 20k for the one and 100k for the other.  Put a small sticker on the back of the 20k one and note that is 20k for future use.   RV

If you do send the DNA-1 in for service, remind Pat or Steve that you are using the Vandy crossovers. They did an upgrade for me that resulted in the impedance being so low, that I couldn't use them with the amps. 

Bob

@Richard Vandersteen you are right about the two amps being different since one of them is some kind of special edition 'stock' version that Steve built for a Stereophile reviewer to evaluate when the amp came out. From the outside it looks the same but it certainly has differences inside that are easy to spot. I would have never thought that the differences could be so drastic from an internal impedance perspective.. Guess you learn something new every day in this hobby.

@GdnrBob I know you have mentioned this several times about the impedance on modified versions being unusually low for us to use the 2WQ. It's one of the reasons why I haven't taken the upgrade route yet on the DNA. Can't live without the 2wqs...