New Listening Room

Recently moved to a new home. Listening room located on 2nd floor. Room is 17.5Lx14Wx9. Still need to adjust bass EQ as everything is set to flat and Still playing around with speaker positioning. I am very happy with the sound so far. Much better than the large room at our previous home. Still assessing more room treatment.

Just got back my Aesthetix Io Eclipse phono stage with upgraded power supply transformers. Still breaking in but sounds fantastic so far.

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Awesome. Nothing like a dedicated listening space.  I am assuming that the speakers are on the wall that's 17.5'. Am curious to learn what's the optimal placement for the speakers in your room and where you end up putting room treatments to get the best sound. 

3 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Very nice system. Though I would recommend some window treatments. Not only for sound but for aesthetics.

Sorry, but I am a designer....

Bob

Yes…the back wall including the windows is on my to do list. Any ideas?

Thanks

I need to upload some pics, but in the meantime.

I would also add some shelves, and bookshelves to the walls on either side. Rather than adding acoustic panels, tchotchkes not only add some individualization as well as reflecting and diffusing sound waves. IMHO.

And, that is one serious looking turntable!

Bob 

• 3 months later...

Tom - Aesthetix Atlas monos? I almost went with them over my ARC REF 150SE but have hesitated not wanting to lose what I like about the sound of the ARC full tube amplifier. Very curious though given the single tube complement, integral high-pass filter feature and zero negative feedback of the Atlas. Plus, Jim White has got to be among the most caring and responsive owners in the biz. Did you happen to compare ARC amps prior to selecting the Aesthetix gear? I use the Rhea Eclipse phono stage and love it.

Great looking set up!

Charlie

On 11/1/2023 at 9:50 AM, GdnrBob said:

Funny, but I always thought Fagan and Becker did a nice job mastering their music.-Certainly much better than what was being produced at the time.

IMHO

B

On 11/1/2023 at 10:47 PM, TomicTime said:

here are my thoughts…..

Aja left a long deep scar

33.33333 rpm scar.

So did Dire Straits- Love over Gold so full of pyrotechnics, rain and thunder

Dark Side of the Moon was worse, an amputation maybe... cutting away at my love for Meddle, Animals and more...

All of these and more were Audiophile darlings worn thin in the Eighties...

We had at the peak eight showrooms of gear. Vinyl was king and the lifeblood of the store and  we shared our customer’s addiction.

Of course we tried to stock fresh demo copies but they ended life worn out like a rust belt Ford Pinto. Washed and prayed over with a VPI record cleaning machine  deemed “ witch doctor “

For it’s renowned ability to raise some of the dead

• but not all.

So I tired of Peg, Deacon Blues and yes even Telegraph Road. Some thirty five years on they creep back slowly into my playlist, even LP ownership. And they make me smile....

On 7/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, Tom Newell said:

Recently moved to a new home. Listening room located on 2nd floor. Room is 17.5Lx14Wx9. Still need to adjust bass EQ as everything is set to flat and Still playing around with speaker positioning. I am very happy with the sound so far. Much better than the large room at our previous home. Still assessing more room treatment.

Just got back my Aesthetix Io Eclipse phono stage with upgraded power supply transformers. Still breaking in but sounds fantastic so far.

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

I too am using Aesthetix in my system. In my case it is the Aesthetix Atlas Signature Stereo amp powering my Quatro Wood CTs. I love the sound but am considering moving to the Vandersteen M5-HPA mono-blocks. May I ask why you chose the Aesthetix? Would appreciate any feedback about what if any improvement I might achieve moving to the M5-HPs.

I think the Vandy high pass filters are significantly better ( more $ available for better caps  and DBS built in,  ) 7 grade filters feeding Aesthetix amps is a  clear upgrade

but IMO ( and some 5 years of M7 ownership and experience , there are many subtle unique differences in the M5 and M7

as an Aesthetix owner please understand i think they are excellent.

On 11/9/2023 at 7:47 AM, Gsal said:

Would appreciate any feedback about what if any improvement I might achieve moving to the M5-HPs.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that they are voiced for our speakers. If I had the disposable income, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

But, I have no reason to as my Ayre equipment is quite satisfactory.

B