Is it possible to run Quatro's from an integrated amplifier without a processor loop?

I was shopping for a new integrated amp, when I realized the Quatro's I want to use it with require the external high-pass filter! Is there any way to run the Quatro's without having the line-level filter? Or do I need to adjust my plans to use a pre/power amp setup?

Ayre can install an internal crossover specifically for the Quatros in their amps. I'm sure there are other amp makers who can do this as well, but Ayre is the only one I've actually done this with. I have an AX-5 Twenty integrated and had Ayre install the internal crossover.

The M5-HP is a 100 Hz (or 80 Hz?) first-order high pass filter with impedance matching, right? So, any well-made first-order impedance-marched 100 Hz high pass filter should be able to substitute, right? I could install one on each of my line inputs to my integrated.

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

@Ross B., it would probably be easier/less expensive to just buy the fixed impedance crossovers from Vandersteen (or their dealers). You just need to know the impedance of your amp.

B

Oh yeah! The X-2 right? I forgot about those. I don't see them listed, are they still for sale?

Ross

27 minutes ago, Ross B. said:

Oh yeah! The X-2 right? I forgot about those. I don't see them listed, are they still for sale?

Ross

The X-2 or any of our high-pass solutions will not work as all of them need to be put between the preamp section and amplifier section (processor loop) of an integrated.  ARC and AYRE will for a fee put the high-pass into their integrated's.  RV

1 minute ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

The X-2 or any of our high-pass solutions will not work as all of them need to be put between the preamp section and amplifier section (processor loop) of an integrated.  ARC and AYRE will for a fee put the high-pass into their integrated's.  RV

Could one be put between each input device and the preamp?

6 hours ago, Ross B. said:

The M5-HP is a 100 Hz (or 80 Hz?) first-order high pass filter with impedance matching, right? So, any well-made first-order impedance-marched 100 Hz high pass filter should be able to substitute, right? I could install one on each of my line inputs to my integrated.

Right but wrong unless you want to degrade the sound of your system 801 different ways!  RV

• Like 1

The best bet for built in crossover are Ayre, ARC and Aesthetix integrated amps. Most bandy dealers sell these. If you are looking for a new integrated, is there anyway you can go separates?  If so, usi f a 3’ cable rather than an 8’ pair also helps sound quality. Just another potential unless space is your issue. 

I was planning on putting together a full Rega system, but they don’t make a preamp *or* power amp. Their only preamp functionality comes with their Elicit integrated amplifier. It *does* advertise constant impedance regardless of volume, so I could put the M5-HP at the line input, if I only had one source…

2 hours ago, Ross B. said:

I was planning on putting together a full Rega system, but they don’t make a preamp *or* power amp. Their only preamp functionality comes with their Elicit integrated amplifier. It *does* advertise constant impedance regardless of volume, so I could put the M5-HP at the line input, if I only had one source…

Try to go with separates if you can for better performance.  Many think eliminating one cable and two connecters is somehow a cleaner path.  It may be but it forces one to go with long speaker cable which is the most sensitive cable in any system, IMO.  High current and low impedance while trying to allow the max amp control.  Short speaker cables always improve the sound more than many realize.  Long interconnects are not affected by reasonable lengths.  RV

• Like 1

I agree. I’ve heard the Ayre 5 series separates and the AX5/20 in the same system. The memos were hooked with the shorter 3’ run and the AX had the 8’ pair. Totally different sound with the separates sounding much better. I was surprised it made that much of a difference ( I ran the AX5 for a few years)

20 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Long interconnects are not affected by reasonable lengths. 

I had always heard the low voltage of interconnects made them more susceptible to noise and distortion than high voltage speaker cables (and similarly that ultra-low-voltage phono cables were more susceptible than line level interconnects). Is that not accurate, or is there another factor at play?

8 minutes ago, Ross B. said:

I had always heard the low voltage of interconnects made them more susceptible to noise and distortion than high voltage speaker cables (and similarly that ultra-low-voltage phono cables were more susceptible than line level interconnects). Is that not accurate, or is there another factor at play?

Yes, it's about better sound over theory.  RV

• Thanks 1