Yet another Audio Research post (Best preamp, old or new?)

This will be my last post on this subject, I promise, but I'm narrowing down my options for a preamp to drive my soon-to-arrive Quatro's. The following are my finalists, based on price and availability:

SP-8
Reference One
LS-25 MkII
LS-17SE
LS-26

Everyone waxes romantic about the SP-8 and its lush tube sound, which really appeals to me. On the other hand, I don't want to bottleneck the performance of the Quatro's with an preamp from 1981, no matter how well regarded. Which brings me to the LS-17SE or LS-26 at the modern end.

These will be going into an Audio Research VS110 power amp.

Any thoughts help. I may end up buying two or more of these anyway and selling the ones I don't like.

Thanks to all of you, and especially Richard for answering all my dumb questions 😅

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Ross, some of these options are RCA and others are XLR so be mindful about what M5-HP(B) you are getting.  RV

The speakers are coming with the RCA version. Is it possible to adapt them to XLR if necessary? Would I have to purchase a new set of balanced filters?

If you can wait, the M5-HPB's come on the used market a few times a year. You could buy a pair of Jensen adaptors to get you by in the meantime. Or, if you know the  impedance, just buy the fixed crossovers. 

Though I wonder if it makes sense to buy the M7-HP? The include 'better' components.

B

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Battery life is 7 years for the alkaline and 12 years for the lithium.  RV

I guess the bi polar ones need the lithium? 😁

5 hours ago, Ross B. said:

The speakers are coming with the RCA version. Is it possible to adapt them to XLR if necessary? Would I have to purchase a new set of balanced filters?

I prefer the XLR ones, but mostly on technical grounds.
Subjectively I am not sure there is much in it.

The used XO boxes sell pretty quickly on the usual sites, and they show up every once in a while.
So you should be able to trade or sell them easily… personally; I would not use the existence of them in your passion, as a basis to select the new electronics.

• Like 1

...just sayin'....   When I change the batteries on my 5A, not only do I change the one in the outboard  M5hpb filters, but also have to remove the crossovers in the box and send those in as well.   When reinstalling make positive the serial numbers are matched with the speaker they were taken from.  Mine are balanced and have never heard the speakers any other way, but even with my volume control way up, there is not a trace of hum, noise, etc.

Edited by Stringreen

9 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Hmm, I should look at my boxes. I think it is nearing 7 years.

B

I would put a VOM or DMM across the battery.
If the voltage is higher than (some number), then I would think that they are fine.

Mine looked old, but the voltage was good.

2 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Richard, do those of us with them built into your a,ps have to concern ourselves with batteries?  If so, I assume they are easy to open up and change out. 

They shouldn't need a battery, since they can be actively biased by the unit power. Either way, it would be quite easy to pop the case open and see if there's a battery in there!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The VS110 is RCA-only for input, so you should plan on the RCA version of the M5-HP.

I had a Reference 1 - it was a good preamp.  I used it with a VT100MkIII, using XLR cables.   The newer References, especially starting with the Ref 5, have a much quieter background/lower noise floor.   It has single-ended and balanced outputs.   It does not have an internal phono section.   

The SP-8 does have an internal phono section, if that makes a difference to you.   It only has single-ended outputs.

The PH-3SE is a good phono preamp.  I used one with my Ref 1 preamp.  

• Like 1

The only preamp of the choices you listed that I had the pleasure of sitting down and listening to was the ARC SP-8. This was my introduction to ARC. This was back at my university years. A former dorm mate had me come over to listen to "upgrades" to his stereo. Last time I visited, he played for me his Magnepan MGAs, driven by an NAD integrated amp. His source was a Rega Planar 3 with Linn Basik arm and cartridge. He played for me Sheffield Labs direct to disc records. I had heard of none of this stuff and it sounded amazing. He corrupted me by introducing me to audiophile and later high end stereo gear. Btw he was the one who told me about Vandersteens.

A year and a half later, he shows me the SP-8, he had his Amber amp "modified". It was no longer UL listed after the repair guy at his Amber dealer hotrodded it. He bought speakers no longer made, GNP Valkeries (nicknamed the lead cylinders). Front end was a Oracle Delphi TT with a Dynavector Karat Ruby mounted on a Linn Ittok arm played through a Klyne head amp. I was flabbergasted! I had never heard such a tall, wide, deep soundstage, with the musicians having that magical air around them. He played Chicago 17 in Japanese Press. Great thrill to hear the horn section rock.

If you're after the glorious sound of tubes and want to mate to a solid state amp, the SP-8 might satisfy you. I've heard the others at Music Matter events sponsored by the local dealer. It's good to hear and see them, but this is less than ideal listening. My understanding is that with each generation ARC extracts more and more detail from the recordings they reproduce. This may or may not be what you're after. If ARC could recondition the SP-8, that might be very satisfying.

Please let us know what you decide and choose to keep. I'm curious.

😀