What's up with theater sound these days?!!

I watched Oppenheimer yesterday in Imax (thanks to my son who insisted that we spend extra and watch it in the biggest screen possible). The last movie I saw in the theater was before Covid and I guess the last four years of binge watching on a 96 inch OLED supported by 5 Vandersteen speakers must have spoilt me since the moment the soundtrack of the movie came on, I wanted to head for the exit. It was insanely loud and the dialogs were practically incomprehensible. The only time I could make out what was being said was when there was no supporting music. I finally realized why my dad fusses so much over watching only those movies that have subtitles...I could have certainly used them yesterday. I thought I was the only sound snob but it seems that this is quite prevalent across the board with all theaters. I think the theaters might have better luck if they asked patrons to bring their own headphones and provide a bluetooth connection. At least people will know what's going on in the movie...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

I watched Oppenheimer yesterday in Imax (thanks to my son who insisted that we spend extra and watch it in the biggest screen possible). The last movie I saw in the theater was before Covid and I guess the last four years of binge watching on a 96 inch OLED supported by 5 Vandersteen speakers must have spoilt me since the moment the soundtrack of the movie came on, I wanted to head for the exit. It was insanely loud and the dialogs were practically incomprehensible. The only time I could make out what was being said was when there was no supporting music. I finally realized why my dad fusses so much over watching only those movies that have subtitles...I could have certainly used them yesterday. I thought I was the only sound snob but it seems that this is quite prevalent across the board with all theaters. I think the theaters might have better luck if they asked patrons to bring their own headphones and provide a bluetooth connection. At least people will know what's going on in the movie...

stratocaster, buy a set of ear plugs that attenuate about 12 dB and you will be able to understand what is going on.  RV

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

stratocaster, buy a set of ear plugs that attenuate about 12 dB and you will be able to understand what is going on.  RV

The Eytmotics ones work well for this.
I have a few sets, with one in the car, and a few with the woodworking tools. 
The Mrs keeps a set in her purse.

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, stratocaster said:

You’re not wrong, the sound was shockingly bad.
I was looking forwards to the movie, but left not overly impressed.
It wasn’t bad, just it wasn’t what I was wanting/expecting.

The last movie that disappointed me that much was the “WindTalkers” with Nicholas Cage.
At least in that one, no one was expected to understand half of the dialgue… 😃

Edited by Holmz

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, stratocaster said:

could it be your hearing is deteriorating?

Christopher Nolan movies are known to sound bad.  Deliberately.

Why My Movies Sound Like

To be fair, most movie houses do sound dreadful.  It’s a question of how bad and in what way.  They’ve become like many, if not most, concert venues.  People apparently want LOUD with a dose of distortion.  My wife and I have given up on most live shows.  The exceptions are those at small local venues, the music school she went to, and little bands playing in the gazebo in the park.  The rest are too awful.

A year or two BC (before COVID) we went to a very modest sized venue to see a famous rock band.  We were fortunate to get admission to the “sound check” and it sounded great.  The show itself was probably 10 dB louder and had 20 dB less dynamic range.  Ick.

At an earlier show at this venue’s companion location out in the country, in a building “Originally constructed as a combination opera house, barbershop, and saloon in 1883”, after the show a different famous band had a meet and greet.  The lead singer commented about how great the sound was there.  Most places, he said, are plain awful.  Progress, eh?

• Like 1