New Cartridge and Phono Pre-amp

Well I just installed my new Lyra Etna Lambda on my AMG Viella table and arm. It is also my first proper listen through my new current mode Channel D Lino C phono pre-amp. 

This is audio reproduction at a whole other level. I was simply amazed at the improvement . More to the point, with every upgrade I make my Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT's easily reveal the upstream changes. There seems to be no limit to what they can do.

Thanks RV for such a fine product.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Gsal, whenever you can, could you let us know how are the Lyra and the Viella are performing? I have a ClearAudio Ovation TT with a AMG 9W1 tonarm. I also have a Lyra Delos and a Koetsu Rosewood Signature. These days I'm using more the Koetsu, and I find it a very good match. My Phono Preamp is the Adagio of Tavish Design. I find that this combination sounds very good with my Quatro CTs. That is why I'm curious about your experience with your new cart. One of these days, I'll switch the Koetsu for the Lyra  and give it a listen. Lyra and Koetsu are supposed to have very different sounds. but I love both of them.

Happy spinning!

Leo

• Like 1

Hello Leo and thanks for asking.

I am absolutely bowled over by the performance of my new Lyra Etna Lambda installed in my AMG Viella through my new Channel D Lino C phono preamp. It has brought my system to a whole new level of sophistication. The difference is not subtle.  Since I've only used the Etna with the Lino C I can only comment on their combination.

On the right recordings (try Wayne Shorter's Speak no Evil) the music explodes out of the speakers. The  dynamics are incredible. Low end response is the best I've ever experienced and of course the sound stage is absolutely holographic. There's a certain refinement to the Etna that is hard to put into words. And, pops and ticks have been dramatically reduced. Man that stylus is tiny!

I've never heard a Koetsu but understand that they tend to be a bit romantic sounding albeit wonderful reproducers. I personally prefer a more "honest" presentation and the Lyra nails that without sounding sterile. So it's a matter of preference I guess.

BTW, I am using a Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 preamp and Aesthetix Atlas Signature amp. The combination of a tube preamp and a tube/transistor amp is just right for me.

The only future change I can see in my system would be an upgrade to the Kento but It's hard to believe it can get much better.

Happy listening!

On 9/12/2023 at 5:42 AM, Gsal said:

Hello Leo and thanks for asking.

I am absolutely bowled over by the performance of my new Lyra Etna Lambda installed in my AMG Viella through my new Channel D Lino C phono preamp. It has brought my system to a whole new level of sophistication. The difference is not subtle.  Since I've only used the Etna with the Lino C I can only comment on their combination.

On the right recordings (try Wayne Shorter's Speak no Evil) the music explodes out of the speakers. The  dynamics are incredible. Low end response is the best I've ever experienced and of course the sound stage is absolutely holographic. There's a certain refinement to the Etna that is hard to put into words. And, pops and ticks have been dramatically reduced. Man that stylus is tiny!

I've never heard a Koetsu but understand that they tend to be a bit romantic sounding albeit wonderful reproducers. I personally prefer a more "honest" presentation and the Lyra nails that without sounding sterile. So it's a matter of preference I guess.

BTW, I am using a Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 preamp and Aesthetix Atlas Signature amp. The combination of a tube preamp and a tube/transistor amp is just right for me.

The only future change I can see in my system would be an upgrade to the Kento but It's hard to believe it can get much better.

Happy listening!

I’ve heard good things about the Backert Labs pre but they don’t seem to get much coverage.  How did you end up with one?

Just had a feeling that I was missing something with my current system. I was already sold on the Lyra and the Lino C phono preamp so decided a new line preamp was in order. Read some reviews. Watched a video review. Reviewed the reviewers and felt confident that I was on the right track. Found a used one that was only 1 month old. Contacted Andy Tebbe @ Backert and was told that my unit had already been upgraded to the new 1.4 internals and tubes. Great guy by the way. Excellent customer service. The price was right so I went with my intuition despite some who told me that changing my preamp was not the best way forward. After hearing only one song through the new Backert I knew I had made a good choice. Preamps DO make a big difference. No offence to RV but I knew his new preamp was probably going to be out of my price range.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Gsal, for sharing your experience with your new Lyra. I agree with you, the Lyra's are amazing cartridges, they give an "honest" presentation, that I would call a super detailed presentation. I would happily upgrade to the Etna but the wait is about 4 months, I've heard, and , of course, it's a pricy proposition. The Koetsu has a rich and beautiful midrange, but certainly it's not as detailed as the Lyra, but dynamics are pretty good, so I don't think I'm loosing anything  from my music.  As you said, it's a matter of preference and taste.

I've read good things about the Backert preamps. So I'm sure you are very happy with it. I have a Zesto Leto Ultra II preamp, which is really a good tube preamp. Lost of great reviews. My phono preamp, the Adagio, is also tubes and I'm also very happy with it.  It's kind of cute, too (see image). I like tube sound (and looks).  And yes, preamps make a big difference. 

I'm very curious about the new Vandersteen preamp. 

image.png.f90f9033596b18715bda48235e5e9cbf.png

The new preamp will be spoken about very soon from the sounds of it.  We all know that it's a true control center.  We will be able to adjust difficult recordings directly from our listening position, which is a GREAT idea.  The best part is that the corrections won't be done in the signal path so it won't degrade the music based on what I was told.  As with all of Richard's products, I'm sure it will punch well beyond its price range.  I'm expecting that it will match and probably exceed (at least in many areas) some of the true reference preamps many of you already own and enjoy.  I can't wait to hear one and then most probably purchase one. I've waited a long time to get a preamp and can't wait much longer, lol.   Should be a killer.