Quatro Wood CT Room Equalization

Hello all.

Have any of you (Quatro and up owners) found that when equalizing the low end for room anomalies you need to make major adjustment to the Low Frequency Volume? I my case I am finding that I need to have the left speaker at +3 dB and the right at -6 dB. Doesn't seem right to me.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Gsal said:

Hello all.

Have any of you (Quatro and up owners) found that when equalizing the low end for room anomalies you need to make major adjustment to the Low Frequency Volume? I my case I am finding that I need to have the left speaker at +3 dB and the right at -6 dB. Doesn't seem right to me.

Thank you.

Gsal, check that both subs are working.  Your room doesn't look that asymmetrical.  RV

• Like 1

Thanks RV.

I got out my voltmeter and ran the voltage test as you outline in the high pass filter instructions. Looks like my dealer didn't set the high pass filter correctly for my amp's impedance during install. I corrected that. Should have only had the #8 dip switch engaged. Found that 4 and 5 were flipped instead. 

I did find, however, that I needed to set the preamp volume differently for each channel in order to achieve the 1 volt reference output. Looks like I have a channel imbalance. For now, I've corrected that with my preamp balance control. BTW, how important is it to hit the .707 volt mark? I'm getting around .740.

I then proceeded with the equalization process using my Radio Shack analog sound pressure meter. Funny, but my settings are now different than those my dealer had determined during his install at my home.

This whole process started just because I like to double check things every once in a while. I'm glad I did.

I'm quite happy with the sound I've achieved following your instructions.

Thanks again for making yourself so available. There are precious few like you in this industry.

• Like 1

@Gsal when I attempted to run two separate amps in a biamp configuration I ran into the same issue where the input impedance was way off on one amp despite the amps being similar from a model perspective.  It was confirmed only through the voltmeter test since things sounded the same to me when I selected different values higher or lower than the stated value.  Having said that the volume also had to be adjusted between the amps and I was relying on the balance control to even things out. Nevertheless after a few weeks I decided to use just one amp since there were many tracks where the sound felt quite uneven and it was a little irritating.

If I recall I was getting .72 and .70 so definitely not the .707. Not sure how much of a difference would it make by not not getting the exact value. 

9 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Gsal when I attempted to run two separate amps in a biamp configuration I ran into the same issue where the input impedance was way off on one amp despite the amps being similar from a model perspective.  It was confirmed only through the voltmeter test since things sounded the same to me when I selected different values higher or lower than the stated value.  Having said that the volume also had to be adjusted between the amps and I was relying on the balance control to even things out. Nevertheless after a few weeks I decided to use just one amp since there were many tracks where the sound felt quite uneven and it was a little irritating.

If I recall I was getting .72 and .70 so definitely not the .707. Not sure how much of a difference would it make by not not getting the exact value. 

Stratocaster, this is a very common outcome!  Getting the high-pass to work with different input impedances causes phase aberrations, near impossible level matching issues and last but not least having two different sounds at frequencies our ear is very sensitive.   Like the owner's manual says vertical bi-amping with identical stereo amplifiers is recommended.  I still feel using a better sounding pair of mono blocks of equal cost will sound better and allow short speaker wires.  RV

• Like 1

This is why I always tell folks who are trying  to bi amp the. 2 and 3’s with less expensive amps, especially of different makers, to think first. Listen to that vs just a set of monos.  We Ret to get too crazy at times and over think. It’s part of being an audiophile. I think I’m just older and want to listen to music rather than playing with the system like I always did. 

• 3 weeks later...