Upgrade to Model 7 XTRM

Last week I received my upgraded Model 7s and I couldn't be happier.  I owned a pair of the original Model 7s along with the granite bases. In August the speakers were shipped to Hanford for the full upgrade to the XTRM.  I am using the M7-HPA amps to drive them.

What is different in the sound?  Pretty much everything. When I got the granite bases a couple years ago the biggest difference was the tightening of the bass.  This upgrade to the side-firing subwoofer drivers has taken that to a whole new level. The low bass is still perfect and the upper low bass is even more powerful. 

Another major benefit to the side-firing drivers is in the midrange. The new orientation greatly reduces the cabinet reaction to the bass and this can be heard in the midrange. It sounds even cleaner than before with greater clarity and focus.

As great as the Model 7s sounded, this new speaker is on a whole different level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I freely and openly admit to feeling jealous.  😮

Horizontally opposed, ahh, engines certainly have their advantages, lower vibration being a key one.  Hey - it works for Porsche.  (And Subaru)  I imagine it's a lot like turning off the subwoofer, but still getting the bass.

• Like 1

It is important to know this is not energy in the cabinet as it is inert because of Constrained Layer Damping (carbon fiber, HDF, viscoelastic membrane, HDF and carbon fiber) total effectiveness.  This dramatic reduction of distortion is the reduction of movement caused by aerodynamic and kinetic forces.  Another strong example of why we don't want squishy feet under our speakers.  RV

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

It is important to know this is not energy in the cabinet as it is inert because of Constrained Layer Damping (carbon fiber, HDF, viscoelastic membrane, HDF and carbon fiber) total effectiveness.  This dramatic reduction of distortion is the reduction of movement caused by aerodynamic and kinetic forces.  Another strong example of why we don't want squishy feet under our speakers.  RV

I should have been clearer!

Perfectly inert cabinets still move when a single ended driver, like a large subwoofer, moves back and forth.  The air the subwoofer pushes causes the cabinet move in the opposite direction, as per Sir Isaac Newton's third law.  Plus, the mass of that subwoofer does much the same.  (I guess unless the cabinet is somehow perfectly rigidly attached to a perfectly immovable rigid floor.)  But, as in a horizontally opposed car or aircraft engine, horizontally opposed subwoofers tend to not move their support structure because those forces cancel pretty much.

I'm just trying to cover my, ahh,  earlier statement, here.  I'm dumb, but not quite that dumb!  Still jealous, though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@dminches congrats on the upgrade. I just can't imagine the effort and the physical labor involved in shipping those monsters out. Am sure you can give some tips to folks here who have abandoned ideas about upgrading to larger models due to the daunting aspect of transporting them...

The key is to have a great dealer! Mine is Audio Connection in Verona, NJ.  They came out to put the speakers on the individual pallets, box them up and take them away. They shipped them from their store. Honestly, it wasn’t the biggest deal.  It just took some time and TLC.

• Like 2

To Richard's point about squishy feet.  I had a pair of Model 2 Ce Signature 2s in my basement, on the Sound Anchor stands on the concrete floor, with the Sound Anchor coasters underneath the spikes.  Once I got them where I wanted them, I just listened.  A few weeks later I removed the coasters.  The improvement in the overall presentation was startling.  

• Like 1

Ever watch the videos on the Vandersteen main website that shows how the drivers move when they are fed electrical signals representing the audio?  Except for the subwoofers, they don't move a lot.  But, that amount of movement is enough to change the air pressure to make sound.

So, how much movement of the cabinet does it take to move enough air to make sound?  Not very much.   

• Like 1