Looking for Model 5/5A for sale in Northern California

Ross B.

1 hour ago, Ross B. said:

If anyone in the Nor. Cal. area has a pair of Model 5's or 5A's that they are interested in selling, please get in touch!

If this post is against the rules, I'll take it down.

RossB, get a used pair of Quatro CTs in most rooms the bass is more than adequate but the Carbon Tweeter is a BIG deal long term.  RV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

RossB, get a used pair of Quatro CTs in most rooms the bass is more than adequate but the Carbon Tweeter is a BIG deal long term.  RV

Quatro CT's start around $10k used, 5A's go for $5k, and regular 5's go for ~$3.5. Otherwise, I would make the jump to carbon.

I wouldn't be surprised is the 5's provide a negligible bass upgrade over the Quatro, but I like the tuned bass so much, I just want more of it!

• Like 1

I just looked a bit.  Tom is very close as the less expensive ones I saw needed crossovers and would most definitely need the internal batteries which i know i personally couldn’t replace.  Just keep looking as you never know.  Many have upgraded to the CT 5’s or higher in the line.  As we all know it’s not easy to find used Steen’s as we keep them much longer than most other’s as we aren’t shopping speaker of the month club like so many others.  

• Like 1

The first 2 5a on Shark are the same pair with an increased ask on Audiogon some months after the usam ad. Rutan has the history on those.

The TX pair is a deal, no boxes…. a call to Vandersteen can get you the pallets they bolt to, etc. BTW you need these for. all but the most gentle moves.

The George Meyer pair look good, especially if they have boxes and high pass filters.. He is a hifi dealer.

Wishing you all the best on your search 🙂

• Like 1

I had the idea of flying out to Texas and driving them back. I could baby them. But, I’d have to find a home for my Quatro’s…

It’s not that the Quatro’s are even bad. They’re the best speaker I’ve ever had. But, knowing how good the tuned bass can be, I wish I had gone all-in with the 12” versions…

The George Mayer 5As have been listed for MANY months. When I inquired about them months ago, they were unresponsive. Also, if you look closely at blown up pics, they have some cosmetic damage. Where there's smoke....there's fire and I'm not talking about "When we kiss".

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but I’ve also seen some folks post ‘fake’ Vandy ads to get clicks and sell other gear.  I hate when i see that happen, but I’ve run into that a few times when I’ve called for folks who got stonewalled themselves.  There can always be some values out there, but buying used speakers that can be easily damaged if moved without the pallets and original boxes scares me since they also had to get back to said store for the trade in.  Just ask the right questions to be sure.  

• 4 months later...

Guys, to be clear so no one gets upset.  We aren't allowed to use this forum to try and sell our gear.  It may be a targeted audience, but it's against the rules to do so.  Not a big deal as many didn't realize this.  I deleted said post.  

Jim, there are plenty of great sites that we all use to sell our gear.  It's all good. 🙂