Quatro CT Tilt

I've been on the self setup journey for some time now and learned so much about how different moves affect the sound and feel I'm right next to Quatro nirvana. I've not found the setup to be particularly difficult but likely couldn't have gotten this far without this forum. I agree with previous posts that a healthy dose of patience is required and hope mine is about to pay off.

I am using granite bases under my Quatro CTs that are 2.5" tall. I've read much here and followed the manual on the approach to tilt and all works well, if I didn't have the granite bases. My ear height is 36", so based on what the manual says, I need 9 washers for the appropriate tilt. I'm using 10 washers which puts the top plane of the speaker at 44", 8" above my ear height at the listening position. However, with the granite, the top plane is, of course, 2.5 inches higher or ~46.5". I'm thinking the top plane needs to be adjusted so it's at the 44". First question, is there a flaw my understanding so far? If my understanding is good, then here's part 2.

To get the top plane of the speaker to 44" at the listening position, I need to add more washers to the rear spike. The problem is, I need to raise the rear of the speaker an additional 3/4" to get the top plane 44" and there just isn't enough spike left. I saw Richard refer to longer Hilti spikes being available but wasn't sure if that referred to the  rear center spike or the outriggers. I have the speakers supported by some blocks of wood to get the top plane to 44" and it sounds the 'rightest' I've gotten to. Any input would be invaluable.

• Like 1

@alcohydro2I am curious about the proposed solutions to your problem. I am dealing with a different situation.. I am not using the granite base but the speakers are on the Vandersteen floor protectors and with the rear spike threaded all the way in, I don't have any washers in at the moment and I still can't get the tilt that I need. The only option is to loosen the front spikes and raise the front end which I tried to but they are in pretty tight and aren't budging.

Edited by stratocaster

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@alcohydro2I am curious about the proposed solutions to your problem. I am dealing with a different situation.. I am not using the granite base but the speakers are on the Vandersteen floor protectors and with the rear spike threaded all the way in, I don't have any washers in at the moment and I still can't get the tilt that I need. The only option is to loosen the front spikes and raise the front end which I tried to but they are in pretty tight and aren't budging.

If the front cones have a hole in them like the ones in my cloth Quatros do, you can stick the long end of a hex wrench through the hole to get some leverage to loosen them.  If you raise the front end, I would suggest adding some large flat  washers (sometimes called fender washers) so that no weight is put on the threads. 

Edited by Daverz
  • Like 1

Think about it this way...

If you raise your Quatros 2.5 inches vertically relative to the listener's ears by putting them atop granite bases, that's really the same as lowering the listener's ears by those same 2.5".   You can find information about the various ear heights in the manual

We are using similar granite platforms under a pair of Quatro CTs.   We also are using the Vanderslippers (Vandersneakers?) between the cones and spikes and the granite bases.  (Excellent product, BTW)  I could just barely get the right tilt with the rear spike screwed in a couple threads.  So, I bought some of these:

Amazing Granite Heel Lifts

Putting one under each of the rear spikes got me right where I wanted to be with the rear spikes engaged very comfortably.  Very stable, too.  I sleep well at night.

A while back the safety spike issue was discussed here.  I had my fancy solution, and Mr. Vandersteen offered his solution to the problem:

Fancy versus Frugal

BTW, I heartily endorse using a laser level for setting the tilt of your Quatros.  Not that I'm an expert, but the approach works really well.  It gets around any issue you might have with not flat floors.  That's discussed here:

Bosch to the Rescue

McMaster Carr  has some great stainless steel fender washers of the exact right size to put between the cones and the base of the loudspeakers, if you need them.  That way you support the weight of the speakers on the cones and not on the threads.  We have a thin one under one of the front cones on our right speaker, because the floor tilts just a bit there.  This allowed us to make both speakers stand perfectly vertical left to right as measured by an electronic level.

Yeah, all these extra pieces added up to about $500.  That's for the bases, the Vanderfootwear, the new safety spikes, the washers, the extra granite lifts, and the laser level.  Compared to the price of the loudspeakers themselves, that's all kind of in the noise.  I figure that if you want to optimize the performance of the loudspeakers you lovingly selected, purchased, and placed, that all is worth it.  It's not the same as upgrading to Kentos, but I think we'd end up doing much the same to make Kentos work just right in our living room.

BTW, if I was to do it again, I'd probably have the granite countertop fabricator who cut and glued our granite bases together plunge route recesses into the granite bases placed exactly where the front cones sit.  With the Vandershoes beneath, of course.  That way there'd be fewer pieces all around.   But, I don't plan on doing it again...

One way to adjust tilt is to place a box in the listing chair and make a mark at 8 inches above ones ear height.  Use an accurate laser pointer on top of the TREO/QUATRO/KENTO and tilt the speaker until the laser is on the make.  NEVER let the weight of the speakers rest on the cones threaded shaft as it will fail and damage the threads in the Plinth of the speaker.  This is not easy or cheap to repair so use washers (stainless steel fender washers) an snug the cones tight.  RV 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. I did use a laser pointer and it’s right on the 44”, which is 8” above my ear height at the listening position, I’ve just run out of threads on the center rear spike to tilt that far. Looks like the Amazing Granite Heel Lift is something that could work for me.

• Like 1