Upgrading Speaker Cables

Years ago, I invited some dealers to the factory and to hear my system in our home (no sound room at the factory) where we do all of the listening.  We had 5A's at the time and Radio Shack was still in business, so I wired the entire system with Gold Ends interconnect cables, Zip Cord speaker wire (short but bi-wired) and removed all power conditioners (we do have 2 dedicated 20-amp circuits) for this listening session.  Our visiting dealers were amazed at the sound (expressed a desire to get theirs to sound as good) but surprised by my cable selection and no power conditioning.  After a few demos they asked why the cheap cables and no power conditioning and asked if I didn't believe they made a difference?  I said that they definitely make a difference but for the cost of the better cables and power conditioning a customer could have 5A's and all the better cables and power conditioning would never make a pair of 3A Signatures play music like the 5A's were.  Be careful to not "Major on the Minors" and get the majors where you want them before polishing it off with the important cables and power.  RV

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

On 2/28/2024 at 7:13 PM, BKDad said:

Personally, as much as I liked the sound of Treo CT’s, spending the extra for Quatro Wood CT’s instead of spending that amount on cables was 100% worth it to my wife and me.

BINGO.  To ME, this is 100% and how I've always built my system.  Too often we get a cable/cord or accessory instead of waiting and upgrading a 'real' component in our systems.  That's dangerous to do.  Going from a well set up pair of Treo's to Quatro's was a mind bender in my room.  Yes, my cables and cords have made a really nice difference, but I also have my money saved for the DAC I ended up getting and now for Richards pre when it comes to market (I sold 5 Hurricane's to put towards it as I have to have a strict budget).  It was a no brainer.  The Waversa EXT Ref I got was well worth it as it took my digital to a different level.  It also allowed me to sell the extra LPS unit and optical switch and gear which was a mess behind the system.  The Waversa is a small box that's passive.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 11:14 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Years ago, I invited some dealers to the factory and to hear my system in our home (no sound room at the factory) where we do all of the listening.  We had 5A's at the time and Radio Shack was still in business, so I wired the entire system with Gold Ends interconnect cables, Zip Cord speaker wire (short but bi-wired) and removed all power conditioners (we do have 2 dedicated 20-amp circuits) for this listening session.  Our visiting dealers were amazed at the sound (expressed a desire to get theirs to sound as good) but surprised by my cable selection and no power conditioning.  After a few demos they asked why the cheap cables and no power conditioning and asked if I didn't believe they made a difference?  I said that they definitely make a difference but for the cost of the better cables and power conditioning a customer could have 5A's and all the better cables and power conditioning would never make a pair of 3A Signatures play music like the 5A's were.  Be careful to not "Major on the Minors" and get the majors where you want them before polishing it off with the important cables and power.  RV

This is very interesting Richard.  Thank you.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:47 AM, ghamilton said:

Consider Morrow Audio cables

Have you compared them to various Audioquest offerings?  Luminous Audio Technologies?

Testing all these cables is hard, even if you can use the Cable Company's lending library, such as it is.  At least with loudspeaker upgrades, like Quatro CT to Kento, there's a good chance that you can listen to to both in comparable environments.  Cables, not so much.  As I've said before, my opinion is that loudspeaker cables tune the performance of your amplifier as much or more than anything else.

• Like 1

At the recommendation of another forum member I tried AudioQuest bi-wired GLC (Great Little Cable)  terminated with Parts Express spades. Sounds fine to my garden variety ears.

Cody

I have had so many cables in my system over the years and none have been as neutral to my ears as any of the Garth designed cables. I always liked AQ in the past, but nothing like what Garth has done with their stuff.  Again, we all hear differently and we all even have some companies who's gear we used years ago and still like due to reputation.  Heck, I had the top MIT cables and cords for years and years, but they weren't the most neutral and I don't use them to tune my system as some try to do.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...