Hey Cody,
Any shot… I used bird shot.
With the unavailability or shot in many states, and the panic about lead dust, one could probably choose something else.

I’m not sure it makes any massive difference, but it was more like a procedure to go through, and check off.
~Holmz

Edited by Holmz

2 hours ago, Oregon said:

Removing the back spikes can also provide a bit more tilt. This has helped to corral the new 2's, bring the tonal balance  more toward my taste. Despite these new 2's having abundant presence they do not induce fatigue. The loudspeakers are warming considerably, coming around nicely.

Also, would filling the stands with buckshot help to "ground" the speakers, settle them?

Cody

Dry sand is all that is needed to damp the steel tubing and add mass.  Lead is not a good ideal as it is toxic and not necessary.  RV

• Like 1

I know you guys are going to laugh at this but I had filled mine up with several cans of pinto beans that were expired and not safe for consumption. 😄

Thanks to being snowed in and bored to death during one severe winter season, I started investigating what else had I not done with the speakers to improve sound and realized that I had failed to fill the bases in. Driving to Home Depot and Lowes wasn't an option since it required plowing a 80 foot driveway. Well, my wife decided to clear up the pantry and I put the beans to use. 

Edited by stratocaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stratocaster said:

I know you guys are going to laugh at this but I had filled mine up with several cans of pinto beans that were expired and not safe for consumption. 😄

Thanks to being snowed in and bored to death during one severe winter season, I started investigating what else had I not done with the speakers to improve sound and realized that I had failed to fill the bases in. Driving to Home Depot and Lowes wasn't an option since it required plowing a 80 foot driveway. Well, my wife decided to clear up the pantry and I put the beans to use. 

Pinto beans and  Cutty Snark… 😄

5 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Canned Beans?

I think dry beans would have been a better choice.

B

Bob,

They were dry beans. I am not sure what brand they were but for some odd reason they came in cans.  All I remember is that they were heavy and after moving to SD the dry air dehydrated them even further. 

Edited by stratocaster

Is this thread now about what items we can fill the sleds with?  I've only used lead shot (many years ago inside the bottom of my Proac's and I've used very fine sand in my speaker stands (when called for).  I've not used beans, motor oils, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies (too much crackle for my tastes) or other pantry items.  

• Like 1