2ci's sound muffled with dialogue

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 10:16 PM, olds1959special said:

I was previously using an EQ to help with this issue, to boost treble around 8k.

What are you using for the TV sound?
Is it just into the amps? Or is there a HT system in there somewhere?

I ended up applying PEQs for a 2C inside of the HT part.
Then it has EQ for the TV/HT, but none for 2–channel.

Same scheme used for the VCC5, so it gets an (PEQ) EQ for TV/HT.

If you had a DAC, then you could do the EQ in there and save it as one of the presets, and then other presets for other stuff, or no presets if you wanted.

Edited by Holmz

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Holmz said:

What are you using for the TV sound?
Is it just into the amps? Or is there a HT system in there somewhere?

I ended up applying PEQs for a 2C inside of the HT part.
Then it has EQ for the TV/HT, but none for 2–channel.

Same scheme used for the VCC5, so it gets an (PEQ) EQ for TV/HT.

If you had a DAC, then you could do the EQ in there and save it as one of the presets, and then other presets for other stuff, or no presets if you wanted.

I am using the same setup for music as I am for tv. I have just optimized my music setup, which included turning up the tweeter control 1.5dB, so tv might be a little better now, but I'm expecting that I'll still need a treble boost. My plan is to get a Schiit Loki mini+ (I had one before and sold it) which I will use for this. I'm going to use the XLR outputs of the dac, which are not being used, so I don't have to do anything to my music setup. I'll send the XLR output to the Loki mini+ with a cable to convert from balanced to single-ended, and send the output of the Loki to one of the inputs of the pre-amp. This way I'll have a separate setup for TV and can adjust the treble as needed.

Edited by olds1959special
  • Like 1

I suggest getting a professional hearing evaluation.  I have left side hearing loss over 8K and compensate with a more reflective left side wall to keep the entire soundstage centered without any EQ.

Just trying to help.....

@olds1959special with all the experimentation that you are in the midst of, it might make sense to just have a baseline by having the simplest of connections between source, amplification and speakers for both music and television. In my experience, horizontal biamping introduces problems of phase and crossover transitions that can drive you nuts. 

• Like 1

This is well known but cannot be (nor should be) compensated for because we use these same ears when hearing live music or hear a piano play today.  A recording of a piano should sound like the piano we heard last night at the night club unamplified!  You can't put enough tweeters in a box to compensate for this and you would have no pets or friends.  When it gets bad enough a good hearing aid would be called for not more tweeter(s).  RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Holmz said:

A lot of movies seem to be mixed with the dialogue a bit hard to pull out.
There is plenty of Foley work, and other sounds and sound track music.

Yes, this seems to be the norm for tv and movies. The Schiit Loki Mini+ four band EQ coming to me will make everything good for TV. The 8k boost helps the most. I can't imagine using it on music though, it would sound terrible.

5 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Funny, but 8K is where my tinnitus kicks in. No wonder I can't understand people in crowds.

B

I thought the ringing from crowds were called anrgyphobia?

11 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Funny, but 8K is where my tinnitus kicks in. No wonder I can't understand people in crowds.

B

How did you confirm that it's at 8k?  I also have tinnitus in my left ear and was curious at what frequency it was at..    

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DC-93 said:

How did you confirm that it's at 8k?  I also have tinnitus in my left ear and was curious at what frequency it was at..    

from the website:

Adjustment: +/-12dB at 20Hz and 8kHz, +/-6dB at 400Hz and 2kHz

I got mine today and TV dialogue sounds perfect now. These are the settings I use.IMG_0171.thumb.jpeg.5c5648c7bf6836cc55f73a293310247d.jpeg

4 hours ago, olds1959special said:

from the website:

Adjustment: +/-12dB at 20Hz and 8kHz, +/-6dB at 400Hz and 2kHz

I got mine today and TV dialogue sounds perfect now. These are the settings I use.IMG_0171.thumb.jpeg.5c5648c7bf6836cc55f73a293310247d.jpeg

All I can think of that most/many surround systems are really bright.
Maybe they are mixed with more bass emphasis to accomodate a typical bright surround bar?
And your settings are moving them back to where the mix needs to be?

One cannot argue with success, so I’m glad it is working out.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DC-93 said:

He added treble at 8k and 20k.

No, mostly at 8k and a little at 2k. There is no adjustment for 20k, maybe you mean 20 Hz, which is the lowest bass adjustment, but I did not touch that. 

12 hours ago, DC-93 said:

He added treble at 8k and 20k.

Yeah - that was my point!
A lot of soundbars are way brighter in that area than I particularly enjoy for music.

If the tracks are mixed for those ubiquitous soundbars, then on our speakers they would seem thin/muffled.

But if we boosted the 8k, then they would sound like they would from a typical soundbar.

It is kind of the Olive’s “Circle of Confusion” applied the movie mixing.

(I don’t know, but it was what I was thinking could be happening?)

Posted (edited)

We are forgetting that television programs and material aren’t recorded the same way music is and isn’t meant to be evaluated sonically. In my experience  an average Japanese a/v receiver does help in taming soundbars and the associated audio problems. 

Edited by stratocaster