tube pre or not tube pre

I have no tubes in my system and sometimes when I listen to early (20's) music I crave hearing what a good tube pre-amp can do to warm up the sound.

I have considered the Schiit Saga+ since I depend on the remote control but I don't think that's a "real" tube amp.

Edited by olds1959special

I had really stellar performance from an Audible Illusions tube preamp.
Maybe there are used ones on the market?

They are inverting, so one needs to go back and swap the red on the speaker cables into the black on the speaker and visa versa.
Just like in the photo.

IMG_0094.jpeg

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 2

I think I saw that Rutan has 1 or 2 used Audible Illusion preamps on his website.   I use an ARC Ref5 on my setup.  It adds depth and sparkle to the sound, giving up only a hair of detail and dynamics, compared to running direct from my Ayre QX-5 to the amp.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For now I'm enjoying the Hagerman Baritone Tube Buffer before my solid state pre-amp as an alternative to a tube pre. It uses a single 12AU7. It seems to take the edge off and add some dimensionality to sound. There is a slight loss of fidelity but overall it's worth it. Right now I'm liking a Tung Sol reissue 12AU7W, but I ordered an RCA clear top 12AU7 (grey plates) to try as well.

Edited by olds1959special

On 6/18/2024 at 3:26 AM, olds1959special said:

For now I'm enjoying the Hagerman Baritone Tube Buffer before my solid state pre-amp as an alternative to a tube pre. It uses a single 12AU7. It seems to take the edge off and add some dimensionality to sound. There is a slight loss of fidelity but overall it's worth it. Right now I'm liking a Tung Sol reissue 12AU7W, but I ordered an RCA clear top 12AU7 (grey plates) to try as well.

Why not run it behind the pre-amp?
(I have no reasoning to suggest it one way or the other.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly purchased a used AR preamp this week while visiting JS Audio in Bethesda.  I was flown down to NIH for my twice a year lumbar puncture, MRI and two days of TESTING (yes, I meant to scream that).  Great guys, even though it's all Wilson (or Dynaudio).  I'll post more in a new thread even though it's not Vandersteen.