Adjusting tilt with a laser level.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

There is no need for the laser height as the instructions use a plumb bob (or string and a nut) which compensates for any floor issues.

RV 

That is true. However, your customers will probably use a laser level / pointer to set toe-in, so why not also use the same tool to set tilt-back? Plus, given we're a pretty obsessive group, the precision afforded by using a laser level / pointer may mean the difference between nirvana and something very slightly less.

13 minutes ago, nrenter said:

That is true. However, your customers will probably use a laser level / pointer to set toe-in, so why not also use the same tool to set tilt-back? Plus, given we're a pretty obsessive group, the precision afforded by using a laser level / pointer may mean the difference between nirvana and something very slightly less.

Got it!  Only one big problem, the top of the 1, 2 and 3 series speakers are not parallel with the alignment for different distances like the TREO, QUATRO and KENTO.  The alignment point would be different for different listening distances for each of them.  It is important to know there is a tolerance for listening height of 3 inches or so but the tolerance for tilt for each speaker is +-1/4 inch!  A laser pointer is the best way to get both speakers aimed at the same point behind the listener.

RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

these  posts make me laugh out loud.....   oops, the stylus is 1/5 mm too long on the jig, ....the left speaker is too far forward......the preamp is set for too much resistance.......   and tomorrow when checked, there will be another adjustment....the house will settle, the temp is warmer than yesterday.....  the cleaning person moved the speaker cable...... such an exciting hobby!!   Excuse me while I check the turntable....

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:47 AM, DG26 said:

Does the 8” above ear measurement apply to the 5A as well?  I didn’t see any info for them in this thread so far.

No, on the 5 series you go by the chart (top is not parallel with the focal point of the array) in the manual for the left or right whichever is on the most level part of the floor.   Then use a laser pointer on top of the speaker with the appropriate washer according to the chart and make a mark on the wall directly behind the listener with tape.   Place the laser on top of the head of the second speaker and use however many washers wherever needed to get the laser to point at the same spot on the tape.  Make sure there are washers, and the cones are tight so that all of the speaker weight is supported by washers not the threads on the cones.  Reinstall the Bonnets and enjoy.  RV

4 hours ago, Stringreen said:

these  posts make me laugh out loud.....   oops, the stylus is 1/5 mm too long on the jig, ....the left speaker is too far forward......the preamp is set for too much resistance.......   and tomorrow when checked, there will be another adjustment....the house will settle, the temp is warmer than yesterday.....  the cleaning person moved the speaker cable...... such an exciting hobby!!   Excuse me while I check the turntable....

I’ve a friend with the Duntech/Dunlavy, who contacted someone as the thing was measuring different, and they told him it was the temp/humidity.
That sort of makes sense with Euro5 or maybe Euro6 emissions the temp, pressure and humidity all affect the O2 density.

Excuse me, as I need to find some tinker toys or Lincoln logs to make the cabal risers for the crystalline speaker cables… and the add the resonators to  counteract the universe speaking through the speakers.

20 hours ago, Holmz said:

Excuse me, as I need to find some tinker toys or Lincoln logs to make the cabal risers for the crystalline speaker cables… and the add the resonators to  counteract the universe speaking through the speakers.

Sounds like you need to buy some Synergistic Research products.🤑 They had something that worked with Tachyon particles. - Which is interesting as that particle is still hypothetical.

Bob

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Sounds like you need to buy some Synergistic Research products.🤑 They had something that worked with Tachyon particles. - Which is interesting as that particle is still hypothetical.

Bob

Anything marketed as Synergistic or Quantum (“Research”) gets my BS meter moving faster than Noah’s divining rods.

But I’ll check and see where CERN is at with their research.

Edited by Holmz