Which Quatro Wood Color?

I’m finally moving up from my 3A Signatures in Cherry finish to a new pair of Quatro Wood CT’s.  The rest of the wood on the room is darker, so I’m trying to decide between Walnut and Dark Walnut.  While the swatches on the website are helpful, nothing beats seeing pictures of the actual speakers in the proposed finishes. 

I’ve seen pictures of speakers in Walnut finish while scrolling through the forum, but I haven’t run across any pictures of speakers in Dark Walnut finish.

If anyone has the Dark Walnut finish, can you share pictures so I can compare?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I had my painted Audi Havana black. I’m so glad I got them painted as the paint job was outstanding. I know it’s an up charge, but if it’s affordable, it could be a really great way to go to do whatever it is you wanna do for interior design purposes. I know the veneer work is just as good as anyone else out there also as I’m a woodworker and appreciate what they do. Maybe get an exotic for the speakers as then it separates itself from the other woods. What I’ve always felt is that you don’t want to different types of room but an odd number three or five works just fine. Those are just my thoughts. Keep us posted. You have some amazing options that other speaker manufacturer don’t even offer at that price range . 

• Like 1

Pete, thanks for your response - from the pictures, your speakers look amazing!  I’ve showed my wife painted Quatro pics and wood finish pics, and she shot down the paint in favor of the wood finish.  Besides, leaving some pennies in the piggy bank leaves room for a preamp upgrade to either the Ayre KX-5 twenty or the Vandersteen (most likely followed by the Vandersteen amps)!  This is what happens when you upgrade from a QB-9 to a QX-5 . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MusicForDave said:

I’m finally moving up from my 3A Signatures in Cherry finish to a new pair of Quatro Wood CT’s.  The rest of the wood on the room is darker, so I’m trying to decide between Walnut and Dark Walnut.  While the swatches on the website are helpful, nothing beats seeing pictures of the actual speakers in the proposed finishes. 

I’ve seen pictures of speakers in Walnut finish while scrolling through the forum, but I haven’t run across any pictures of speakers in Dark Walnut finish.

If anyone has the Dark Walnut finish, can you share pictures so I can compare?

Thanks!

What finish does your Dealer have on display?  Most dealers have pictures of installs they have done so you should ask them.  Goggle Quatro CT and a lot of pictures show up.  Treo and Quatro speakers are mostly Dark Wal as Light Wal is special order.  We have high resolution photos on this site under "Resources" for some finishes.  RV

• Thanks 1

One of the worst parts in dealing with color is that many websites don't adhere to a basic color regime, say, like Pantone. Hence, any color you see on a website can be off by several degrees. Also, your monitor can be off by several degrees of color.

I say this as a Gardener who has to make sense of what color the flowers will be in the garden.  Unfortunately, distributors don't try the slightest to offer pics that represent the true color of what the flower they are offering. It often makes for a difficult task to design a garden that looks as I had pictured it in my mind. Mind you, I am not that picky about getting colors 'right', but when a company provides a low rez pic of their product, it shows that they don't know or understand how important color can be.

Sorry for the rant...

Bob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

One of the worst parts in dealing with color is that many websites don't adhere to a basic color regime, say, like Pantone. Hence, any color you see on a website can be off by several degrees. Also, your monitor can be off by several degrees of color.

I say this as a Gardener who has to make sense of what color the flowers will be in the garden.  Unfortunately, distributors don't try the slightest to offer pics that represent the true color of what the flower they are offering. It often makes for a difficult task to design a garden that looks as I had pictured it in my mind. Mind you, I am not that picky about getting colors 'right', but when a company provides a low rez pic of their product, it shows that they don't know or understand how important color can be.

Sorry for the rant...

Bob

Basic color regime, Pantone and .....................................................!  These are minor as every piece of wood is different, takes stain differently so pictures are not relevant for color choice.  Our pictures of the wood on this site when clicked on (actual high rez of a 12 X 12 inch typical wood sample) are better than random pictures on the web.  We do have faux Ebony which is a perfect match every time.  Bob, I think flowers are more consistent in color than wood especially with stain.  RV

• Like 2

Thanks all, for the multiple and varied responses.  I agree that there will be variation in color from sample to sample due to the factors you all mentioned, but I also believe that comparing multiple samples can begin to give a closer impression of how the color will look.  Obviously, one can’t guarantee how the finished product will look for color match.  The take-away would be, if I like the look of most or all of the pictures I see in that finish, chances are I will be very pleased with how the finish will work in my setting.  Certainly, the quality of finish has, in my experience and anyone else who’s mentioned it here, is top-notch.  

I’ve seen Kewazinga, Oak, Walnut and Cherry finish at my dealer, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen the Walnut.  I think I will take a new look at the Kewazinga at my dealer this week.

Richard - Thanks for the clarification on the quality of the samples, and for pointing me to the hi rez pictures on the Resource page.  It’s helpful to understand the detail that was used in the make-up of the samples.  

Holmz - Wiser words . . .  I’m trying to get my wife more involved with this hobby by including her in the decision process.

25 minutes ago, MusicForDave said:

Holmz - Wiser words . . .  I’m trying to get my wife more involved with this hobby by including her in the decision process.

I try to put on something that the Haus-Boss likes to listen to.
There is about 1/4 of it is where we overlap… 🤔

This morning both phone alarms went off at the same time.
(Usually I am up early).

Her’s played “the Mams and the Papas” “California Dreamin”, “All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey.”
Mine played,  Bobby Hebb’s “Sunny”:

Bobby Hebb  looks a bit like Clevon Little (in the smile).

Edited by Holmz

You can possibly find some burled varieties that are stunning.  I LOVE wenge in a nice matt finish.  Quarter saw white oak can be off the charts if you get a highly figured flitch.  All I know is that whomever is doing Richard's veneer works does a GREAT job matching and applying.  I'm a stickler when it comes to wood as many know.  As I said, keep odd number of wood species in a room for aesthetics (not Aesthetix).

• Like 1

Gsal - Thanks for the picture - wife and I both like the look of the dark walnut!

Pete, thanks for your response - from pictures I’ve seen of your setup, your speakers look amazing!  I’ve showed my wife painted Quatro pics and wood finish pics, and she prefers the wood finish.  Besides, leaving some pennies in the piggy bank leaves room for a preamp upgrade to either the Ayre KX-5 twenty or the Vandersteen (most likely followed by the Vandersteen amps)!  This is what happens when you upgrade from a QB-9 to a QX-5 . . .  the upgrade cycle starts anew!

• Like 1

Not to throw a wrench in the mix at the 11th hour, and there really is no wrong choice here, but have you considered Ebony?  That might be worth a Google.  

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE figured woods.  You can find amazing burled woods like walnut in matching flitches.  Not sure how much of an uncharge it is, but man you can do some fun things with burled woods.