Leaving the preamp on...

My little system in my office has Belles monoblocks and preamp driving my a pair of VLR's and HSU subs. I noticed that the preamp is never warm, so just leave it on when not listening. I don't think it draws much power, so what do the great minds of this forum think? On or off when not listening?

Bob

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

My little system in my office has Belles monoblocks and preamp driving my a pair of VLR's and HSU subs. I noticed that the preamp is never warm, so just leave it on when not listening. I don't think it draws much power, so what do the great minds of this forum think? On or off when not listening?

Bob

Solid state should always be on.  Tubes will also sound better but tube life is a consideration.  RV

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I'd love to leave the amps on, but with all that heat, there must be energy usage. Prices for electricity in NY is too high to waste.

B

Bob
Look for power centers that have timers built in that turn on/off depending on the time of the day. Electricity charges in San Diego are shocking and with all the peak and off peak pricing it can get a little bit annoying if you are on a quest to save money. I too suspected that my tube amps that stayed on for almost 17 hours a day would cost me an arm and a leg but thankfully the electric bill is just 10-15 bucks more.. 

Edited by stratocaster

I have custom built amp and pre amp by SMC Audio. Steve McCormack says they are built to be left on. The two chassis pre amp doesn’t se a fuse, just a circuit breaker. Tge amp will go back early in the year when I am in Florida  for the stall of the same circuit breaker .

6 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

We pay 40 cents per kilowatt!  It is insane and totally unjustified.  RV

After looking at the power meter on the bicycle, and it would take 7 hours to get a kwhr, I would often be winning to pay the 40 cents when U see a hill 😄

22 minutes ago, Joe Whip said:

I have custom built amp and pre amp by SMC Audio. Steve McCormack says they are built to be left on. The two chassis pre amp doesn’t se a fuse, just a circuit breaker. The amp will go back early in the year when I am in Florida  for the <in>stall of the same circuit breaker .

It’ll be hard to make it sound good if you cannot put in one of those SR pink fuses. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BFW said:

Here in Michigan, I pay $0.20 per kWhr and as an added bonus I get a few volts of DC for free.  What a deal!

That is evidence of Edison battling Tesla from the great beyond. 😇