Richard interview with the Philadelphia Area Audio Group

That was great! Richard explained why 1) physical driver alignment and 2) pistonic driver behavior throughout the extended passband are both critical to time-and-phase aligned speakers, but I wish he would have gone into a bit more detail on why 1st order crossovers are the 3rd critical element of time-and-phase aligned speakers (other than they are just necessary). I get the sense there's a lot of confusion and misunderstanding out there about this aspect of  time-and-phase aligned speakers.

In short, it is mathematically impossible to sum the HBP of the midrange driver (for example) and the LBP of a tweeter and maintain a net 0 dB output delta (with respect to frequency response) AND a net 0-degree change of phase (outside their respective band passes) for higher crossover orders. One MUST use a 1st order crossover is this is a design goal. The late Roy Johnson wrote a really, really good white paper on this subject (with visuals) that made this easy to understand. I can't locate it on the interwebs for the life of me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, bkeske said:

So sorry, I just assumed most that use YouTube follow the Vandersteen channel.

Try this:

If you click on the YouTube link it opens in YouTube and the the description has an index to go to the exact question you want to hear.  Have fun!