Kottke & Gordon - Noon

bkeske

I have a lot of Leo’s albums from the 70’s, and one  newer CD from the late 90’s, but decided to give his newest effort with Mike Gordon a shot on vinyl. Glad I did. Very very nice. When Mike sings, he has a strong Jerry Garcia vibe. Well worth the money; you can pick this up easily for $20~$24. 

Also my first colored vinyl, which to be honest, I try to stay away from, as I hear some sonic issues can result, plus, I just think it is gimmicky. But, OK, I guess it’s ‘cool’ (shrugs).

2D8106FB-4E39-4707-A003-87DB2AF0CB73.jpeg

B8FDDEDE-E145-4139-B8F5-4ED5026543AD.jpeg

67FD9A26-A2C2-4827-8188-DE2C14173FF7.jpeg

• Like 2

When I first heard 6 & 12 String Guitar, I was convinced that there was more than one person playing one guitar.  Then, I saw him live at Royce Hall in UCLA  .............  I was floored. 

Have you noticed any sonic irregularities the colored pressing?  I usually stay away from them as well.

Steve, the only time I got to see Leo was in the mid-70’s at a pretty small club, as you, I was also ‘floored’. I sat in disbelief what I was hearing, and looking right at him pretty close, was being  played with only two hands. It was unbelievable.

As far as colored vinyl, don’t know, as I say, that is the only one I have. I will say this played very well, and very quiet, but I have no reference. I do believe there is a black vinyl release available, but much more rare than the colored. Seems ‘all the craze’. I must be an old fart, as I just don’t get the need for ‘razzle dazzle’ vinyl 🙂

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1

I've been a Kottke fan for a long time, and saw him play years ago in Denver.  "Bigger Situation" on the album below has given me a lot of pleasure...there's no filler in a piece that lasts 9 minutes and 26 seconds. And this was made after his bout with tendon damage. You could also say Kottke was "discovered" by my biggest guitar hero, John Fahey.

image.thumb.png.cc0d6c89d06aed305f69250639f2676e.png

9 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

On the back of one of his album covers, he states that his voice "sounds like geese farts on a muggy day"

Yep, I have that album. On his earlier albums, his commentary on each song was always a treat to behold. Also listening to some live recordings when he told stories in between. I have his first live performance/release on vinyl called ‘12 String Blues’, fun album, glad I bought it cheap many years ago, as it’s a bit rare now. Also, I believe I saw an early 70’s YouTube video of one of his concerts, and it is quite enjoyable listening to his stories. Was when I saw him too.

Interesting enough, I love Leo’s voice, and quite like his singing songs. ‘Pamala Brown’ may be one of my all time favs.

1 hour ago, John Gallup said:

I've been a Kottke fan for a long time, and saw him play years ago in Denver.  "Bigger Situation" on the album below has given me a lot of pleasure...there's no filler in a piece that lasts 9 minutes and 26 seconds. And this was made after his bout with tendon damage. You could also say Kottke was "discovered" by my biggest guitar hero, John Fahey.

image.thumb.png.cc0d6c89d06aed305f69250639f2676e.png

Thanks John, that is one I do not have. Should search for it, and put it on my ‘want list’……unfortunately only available on CD