Placement for Sub 9s

Jonas

HI everyone, I am close to ordering the Model 7 XTRM's and am contemplating adding sub 9s in the future.  My system is in our main living room and the layout of the room means that I would not be able to put the subs close to  the main speakers.  They would need to be about 10'to the left and to the right of the main speakers (on the outer walls of the room.)  My question is whether the subs should be the same distance away from the listening position as the main speakers.   If not, am I messing with the timing ? 

Thank you,

Jonas

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

On 10/31/2021 at 5:21 AM, GdnrBob said:

I should probably let Mr. V. answer this, but in the interest of giving advice quickly...

Since the subs will be dialed in with the equalizer, I think placement should not be an issue.

Also, nice looking room.

Bob-

As a counter point…

1. Most of the other speakers are very sensitive to placement, or the owners manual at least suggests guidance for it.
  2. And a lot of people use multiple subs and “crawling” to find good locations for them.
  3. It is hard to bring a null up using the brute force of power.
On 10/31/2021 at 5:21 AM, GdnrBob said:

… in the interest of giving advice quickly...

I would probably take a slow approach, but I am a bit slow in general. 😀

On 10/30/2021 at 1:04 PM, Jonas said:

HI everyone, I am close to ordering the Model 7 XTRM's and am contemplating adding sub 9s in the future.  My system is in our main living room and the layout of the room means that I would not be able to put the subs close to  the main speakers.  They would need to be about 10'to the left and to the right of the main speakers (on the outer walls of the room.)  My question is whether the subs should be the same distance away from the listening position as the main speakers.   If not, am I messing with the timing ? 

Thank you,

Jonas

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

Placement of the SUB NINE will work fine as long as it is on the same wall as the main speakers.  Low frequencies have very long wave lengths so Time Alignment is not as critical.  Because they are in very different locations in the room the EQ part of the set up will be very linier.  This is very similar to my room and the sound is fantastic!

RV

• Like 1

One of our posters just upgraded to a pair of 9's and he LOVES what it has done. I"m sure he'll want the XTRM eventually, but adding Richards subs to your main speakers (from the 2's up) just frees up your main speakers to sound bigger, badder adn better, lol....  It's how he designs his bass that the others don't have.  A less taxed amp makes them sound better too.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your input!  Richard, just want to confirm, is it ok if they are on the same "plane" as the model 7s even if they are not actually on the same "wall" as that back wall is broken up by the large openings  / walkways on each side.  Thank you!

Jonas    

3 hours ago, Jonas said:

Thank you everyone for your input!  Richard, just want to confirm, is it ok if they are on the same "plane" as the model 7s even if they are not actually on the same "wall" as that back wall is broken up by the large openings  / walkways on each side.  Thank you!

Jonas    

Jonas,  I see in the picture the openings but the subs would still be in the same plane as the SEVEN's if they were in the outside corners.

RV