Sound Quality improvement with addition of Sub's and M5 HPs to Treo CT?

Hi everyone, first post here...
Wondering if anyone has added the Vandersteen Sub 3's and M5 high pass filters to an existing system that includes Vandersteen Treo CT speakers? Seems like an expensive add (~$6000 +/-) at least for me, and I'm wondering if people have derived that much increased sound quality following such an upgrade?  Currently running McCormack DNA 0.5 monoblocks and  TLC pre both modified in the last 12 months, VPI Prime Scout TT with stock arm and Hana ML cart, Herron STPH-2 phono stage,  AudioMagic Tubador SE III DAC and Aurender N100 streamer. Mostly vinyl, mostly acoustic jazz and vocals of the 50s and 60s (Blue Note, Impulse, etc) with some occasional rock n roll.  Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

Though non-CT's, I have outfitted my Treo's with the new Sub 3's (from a pair of 2wq's).

And, yes, they do make a difference. It isn't subtle nor earth shattering, but it is noticeable. Things just seem more real and fleshed out with the subs- and the free up your amp from all the power draining bass notes.

If $6K is too steep for you, then wait for a pair of 2wq's to come up on the used market. They don't have the equalizer, but you'll get 80-90% of the Sub 3. If you do, look for a high serial number, as they are more current. (mine were in the 17K's).

If you do get the Sub 3's, have your dealer set them up. John Rutan and Samir did mine. Though I probably could have done it myself, letting Johnny do it saved me a lot of time.

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael AHlijanian said:

Wondering if anyone has added the Vandersteen Sub 3's and M5 high pass filters to an existing system that includes Vandersteen Treo CT speakers? Seems like an expensive add (~$6000 +/-) at least for me, and I'm wondering if people have derived that much increased sound quality following such an upgrade?  Currently running McCormack DNA 0.5 monoblocks and  TLC pre both modified in the last 12 months, VPI Prime Scout TT with stock arm and Hana ML cart, Herron STPH-2 phono stage,  AudioMagic Tubador SE III DAC and Aurender N100 streamer. Mostly vinyl, mostly acoustic jazz and vocals of the 50s and 60s (Blue Note, Impulse, etc) with some occasional rock n roll.  Thanks for your help!

^Nice^…. Another system for me to envy. (Does this deserve a photo to admire?)

I do not think I have enough phone gain to run the Hana.

Edited by Holmz

19 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Though non-CT's, I have outfitted my Treo's with the new Sub 3's (from a pair of 2wq's).

And, yes, they do make a difference. It isn't subtle nor earth shattering, but it is noticeable. Things just seem more real and fleshed out with the subs- and the free up your amp from all the power draining bass notes.

If $6K is too steep for you, then wait for a pair of 2wq's to come up on the used market. They don't have the equalizer, but you'll get 80-90% of the Sub 3. If you do, look for a high serial number, as they are more current. (mine were in the 17K's).

If you do get the Sub 3's, have your dealer set them up. John Rutan and Samir did mine. Though I probably could have done it myself, letting Johnny do it saved me a lot of time.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  Yes it would be John and Samir as I am east coast based.  I will keep an eye out for the 2wq's.  Do you detect any differences in soundstage/imaging with subs? And is there any change in the mids and highs once they are added?  Thanks again.  Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael AHlijanian said:

Do you detect any differences in soundstage/imaging with subs? And is there any change in the mids and highs once they are added?

Not so much soundstage/image, but overall sound quality is 'fleshed out'. It something that you wouldn't notice until you own subs.-Especially subs that are dialed in.

Bob

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

Not so much soundstage/image, but overall sound quality is 'fleshed out'. It something that you wouldn't notice until you own subs.-Especially subs that are dialed in.

Bob

Ok thanks again Bob.  Wondering now if a new cart, e.g., Kiseki Blue, might serve me better at lower cost.......tough when you can't audition.

i would give Johnny a call. There is nothing wrong w Hana at all. They make a super high value proposition cartridge.  I have a Delos but have heard the Lyra line above it on Kento and 7. I have the Delos in a Treo CT system without subs. Vandy subs w high passed mains will increase midrange clarity as you amplifier is not taxed - i call this the loafing zone…

• Like 1

+1 @TomicTime,

I have no experience with cartridges, but I think a call to Johnny would be in order, as he knows just about all the stuff out there, as well as Vandy.  AND, he won't try to sell you on something, which is the main trait that endears me to him.

B

Edited by GdnrBob

On 11/3/2021 at 1:17 PM, Michael AHlijanian said:

Michael,  because you listen to a lot of vinyl a worthy option would be to add one SUB THREE with the M5 high pass filters.  Vinyl is mostly mono in the bass especially older records and the SUB THREE incorporates room EQ.  Many find the addition of one room adjustable sub performs very well and cost $2500 less!

RV

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2021 at 8:47 PM, Holmz said:

^Nice^…. Another system for me to envy. (Does this deserve a photo to admire?)

I do not think I have enough phone gain to run the Hana.

I recently added 1 sub 3 to  my treo ct & I am very happy with the result.  I was never impressed with the sound of the treo's in my dealers room (Verona Audio Connection) I asked John to set it up with 1  sub 3  and it was MUCH better with a large very precise sound stage. In my home less of a change ( I have an excellent room) but still very worth it . Have your dealer set up their Treo Ct with the sub & have a listen. I'm very happy with my addition of 1  sub.  Good luck & stay well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David I said:

I recently added 1 sub 3 to  my treo ct & I am very happy with the result.  I was never impressed with the sound of the treo's in my dealers room (Verona Audio Connection) I asked John to set it up with 1  sub 3  and it was MUCH better with a large very precise sound stage. In my home less of a change ( I have an excellent room) but still very worth it . Have your dealer set up their Treo Ct with the sub & have a listen. I'm very happy with my addition of 1  sub.  Good luck & stay well.

There is nothing wrong with John's demo, but this is a good example of how much better this stuff sounds in one's home vs. the dealer!  Why is this?  Dealer can't afford the time or space to do single speaker demos of all the speakers they represent.  In your home the ambient noise is much lower, no other woofers in the room absorbing and then releasing base but all messed up, no other high frequency drivers putting noise into the room (smear) because they are exercised by the energy in the room and in general a lot more diffusion (furnishings) in the decor for better acoustics.  It is easy to see why a given system will almost always sound better at home than at the dealers.

RV

One reason why Linn required a single pair of speakers in the demo room and an adjacent closet for storage of other speakers. Curtis at Advanced Audio in Tacoma one such dealer. He was dutiful in only having the 3a-sig in the room when Trish and i auditioned them. The closet does have a small downside as it has glass doors.  Not perfect but for those with another pair of speakers in same room at home, try shorting the inputs on the unused pair - obviously remove the shorting jumpers before using them !

No, you don’t need silver wire shorting jumpers !

ha

Jim

• Like 1