VLR versions

Hi all.  I have a chance to get a set of 2014 VLR’s near me.   Prior to this I had no idea of their existence.   They will be on my office desk flanking my display ran by a peachtree 65se integrated.     I’ve read some places comments about early vs later VLR, not CT, and wondering how much difference there is on model years, as I can’t find much more other than that comment.   It’s funny people just seem to accept this as a great speaker, not a lot of back and forth.  Figure can’t go wrong.  

• Like 1

@Catle79bay,

I own the non-CT VLR's for my office, as well.

I am using them more like monitors- Mounted near the ceiling at the corners of the room.

VLR's were designed for bookshelves, so getting them near corners helps reinforce the bass. I use powered HSU subs but when I disconnected them, the VLR's put out substantial bass when positioned near the corners.

I could have gotten the CT version, but being in the office, they are more for background than serious listening. In any case, they really are a sleeper. I don't understand why they don't get more press.

Because we have not given them to the press and don't intend to!  They are so specialized in their application and I have said many times over the years "no bass, no music" as the reason we won't make a mini monitor.   I prefer music lovers find them with the help of a good dealer with confidence on their own.  Reviews would tend to get people to buy them and add a sub instead of a full range speaker leading to many of them on the used market.  If a three-piece system could truly be high performance the market would be dominated by them because I assure you I would not build and ship speakers that weigh hundreds of pounds if a three piece could be STOA.  The crossover between the two will always be a compromise compared to the coherency of the crossover and drivers with their design and location is all in one. 

RV

58 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

If a three-piece system could truly be high performance the market would be dominated by them because I assure you I would not build and ship speakers that weigh hundreds of pounds if a three piece could be STOA.

But...

Offering a low cost speaker system, say the VLR's and Sub 3 with a Belles Aria Integrated, would allow the budget conscious to enter into the Vandy line, yet offer the ability to upgrade further. I have heard the above mentioned components together, and they really smoke the competition.-Especially at the price point!

My 2 cents..

B

These will absolutely be used as intended.   Not sure where yet but most likely my office.    They may also serve in my family friendly set up that is generally background and competes with screaming children.  🙂.   Of course I’ll try them in my main rig with my subs that are almost always off, even with monitors.    Picked them up today and just waiting till the family sleeps to play with them.   The did sound fantastic when picking up though.  

4 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

But...

Offering a low cost speaker system, say the VLR's and Sub 3 with a Belles Aria Integrated, would allow the budget conscious to enter into the Vandy line, yet offer the ability to upgrade further. I have heard the above mentioned components together, and they really smoke the competition.-Especially at the price point!

My 2 cents..

B

Those who discover and like the above on their own are why they exist.  No promises or expectations just their own discovery, that's how I chose my purchases.  Never heard a ZU product myself but then I'm not often looking for speakers, LOL.

RV

• Haha 1

I love the VLR's too.  It's the perfect speaker for those who can't have a full range floor standing speaker.  Some just have ot have a smaller, stand mounted speaker due to the weight etc...  Yes, it's a limited market, but as Bob said, you add the sub/s and all of a sudden you have a GREAT sounding system.  These are very real.  Is there a compromise?  Of course as Richard pointed out, but many can't even hear those differences, but for those who can, it's something they may not have an issue with it as they have to do the smaller speaker for their personal limitations.  I know a couple of dealers who LOVE this speaker for these reasons.  

In my main it’s mcintosh direct coupled around 80 watts.  And M&k 70b subs.    My office is 65 watts via a peachtree integrated.    And my living room  setup is 25 watts off a sharp 1 bit class d all-in-one deal that is surprisingly competent.    If life slows a bit tomorrow I’ll try it in my living room.   So far a nice speaker.   Really like it’s vocals on Ripple from American Beauty.    Good detail but not dry.   My plan is for the office though, these will be replacing some peachtree/era D5 which have considerably more bass, but they need more space behind them.  

• Like 1

Hi everyone. This is my first post here.. I have  the VLR CTs in a small 9.5 x 11.5 room.  They are mounted on 24” speaker stands. I’m running them with a Sunfire HRS-10 sub. They sound really good to me. I will probably upgrade the sub sometime in the future.

• Like 2

@Floyd94,

Welcome #2,

I know the Sub 3 might be a stretch with regard to budget. So, if you can snag one or two 2wq's, you'd be very close to a sub 3.

One of the best reasons to get Vandy subs is that you are now letting your amps drive the easier mid to upper frequencies than the power draining lower frequencies due to the high pass filters.

B

Thanks for the welcomes. I would consider upgrading to the sub3 or 2Wq, however I have an integrated amp that doesn’t have pre out and main in connections for the crossover. My current sub is connected to the variable line level outputs.

Edited by Floyd94
  • Like 1

Welcome and congrats.  What an awesome speaker.  I am in the camp of getting a Sub3 when you can afford it.  I had my crossover for the Quatro's installed by Ayre.  You'd be amazed at what a top tech can do.  It's WELL worth it as Bob mentioned, the CT's will sound better up and down the spectrum in addition to filling out teh lower end.  Yes, pics please. 🙂 

My setup is simple.   And messy at the moment.   I do wonder how much impact there is to being on the  cabinet and if I should lift the fronts a bit.   So far enjoying them.   Not going to keep the peachtree d5 speakers, they are lovely speakers but compared to the VLR I feel they are shouting at me.   That and the port configuration right up against the wall has some nasty artifacts.    

B18137E5-35CE-481F-8D81-CE09C0052FD9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Catle79bay said:

My setup is simple.   And messy at the moment.   I do wonder how much impact there is to being on the  cabinet and if I should lift the fronts a bit.   So far enjoying them.   Not going to keep the peachtree d5 speakers, they are lovely speakers but compared to the VLR I feel they are shouting at me.   That and the port configuration right up against the wall has some nasty artifacts.    

B18137E5-35CE-481F-8D81-CE09C0052FD9.jpeg

They will sound a lot better if you put the grills on!  You have a diffraction generator big time with all those sharp edges around the speaker cone and are minus the felt (on the grille under the fabric) to eliminate the shout from the baffle around the driver.  All that time smear is a good way to kill everything that Vandersteen is all about.  Be careful not to tilt the speaker enough to get anywhere on axis with the tweeter.

RV

RV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

@Catle79bay,

The VLR's like being near corners, as it reinforces bass.

If you are going to replace the Peachtree integrated, I suggest trying to find a Belles Aria Integrated. I heard it at Audioconnection, and it really sang.

Bob

The peachtree being replaced are the D5 speakers.     The amp is staying.  I’ve had a chance to use a belles amp before amp.