Confession

Next8

This post is still about Evolutions and Upgrades with a twist.  More Evolution.  I had my Treo CT’s happily ensconced in my home and then through false serendipity, I sold them when I bought my Quatro CTs.  Being lucky enough to have two systems, I coulda, woulda, shoulda just moved them to system #2.  Done deal.  But system #2 is smaller sooooo I started thinking about stand mounted speakers and bought Joseph Audio Pulsar 2’s with Sound Anchor stands.  These are very lovely speakers,   Did I mention I bought them unheard (geographic issue).  But as I do more listening with system #2 out of convenience only and the Mrs’ will not approve bring system #1 into our living room, I MISS THE VANDERSTEEN SOUND.   Disclosure - Jim did try to talk me down but one thing lead to another and I done the deal.  I don’t feel buyer’s remove because the Pulsar’s are superb….just not the sound I want in my 18’x15’ alcove, with a tricky  open side and an open back.  So I’ll be in touch with Audio Connection after the holiday.  Jim, you were right.  Next8 moves on.  I feel better.

Happy holidays,

Dave

Next8, until I had to have one of my Quatros repaired in Hanford (for reasons beyond my or John Rutan's control), I had only Vandersteen speakers in my home since the late '80s.  Due to the early stages of the pandemic, I had to wait for the transport (I drove them up myself) and repair. To fill the awful void of music in my living room, I bought a used pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300s.  Initially, I was impressed with the degree of detail and resolution; but, it wasn't long before I realized how much I MISSED THE VANDERSTEEN SOUND.  

On the bright side of this coin, you can probably sell the Pulsar's without a big hit, and go back to the Treo's, or maybe the VLR CT's?  At least, you still have THAT SOUND in your home.  :classic_rolleyes:

Confession accepted

Play on

Well…..since we are entering the confessional… but as RV said to me… just make sure to learn and listen for the  way a panel stores and releases energy.. Exposure to other design approaches can be very educational to the ear / brian… The Pulsar have a following, so if you got them right, an inexpensive learning and listening experiment…. best to all ! enjoy the music

Jim

B38A12C5-C148-481D-B6C3-21DD9F82CB31.jpeg

Are those the Apogees?  I had a pair in the house on loan from my dealer in the 90's.  He didn't have the room and I kept them warm for 6 months. I loved them.  Ran em with an all Krell system. I agree on the Vandy sound.  Even when not fully dialed in, I like them better than any speaker I've had in the house.  I am so glad to be OFF the 'wheel' of trying new components.  When I change, it's an upgrade and not trying to tune anything.  The upgrades were all planned and I've been over the moon happy with each purchase.  Treo to Quatro.  Ayre to Vandersteen on the electronics.  Ayre to Brinkmann on the DAC.  All AQ Mythical Creatures cables and cords.  Synergistic Research to Niagara 1000 and then to the 3000 this year.

Vandersteen is made for Vandersteen, so that was an easy upgrade in my mind.  

On 12/15/2021 at 12:33 PM, Steve Edwards said:

Next8, until I had to have one of my Quatros repaired in Hanford (for reasons beyond my or John Rutan's control), I had only Vandersteen speakers in my home since the late '80s.  Due to the early stages of the pandemic, I had to wait for the transport (I drove them up myself) and repair. To fill the awful void of music in my living room, I bought a used pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300s.  Initially, I was impressed with the degree of detail and resolution; but, it wasn't long before I realized how much I MISSED THE VANDERSTEEN SOUND.  

On the bright side of this coin, you can probably sell the Pulsar's without a big hit, and go back to the Treo's, or maybe the VLR CT's?  At least, you still have THAT SOUND in your home.  :classic_rolleyes:

Confession accepted

Play on

Thanks Steve.  I feel the weight is lifted and the Treo CT’s will return.  Amazing how it all works.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, TomicTime said:

Well…..since we are entering the confessional… but as RV said to me… just make sure to learn and listen for the  way a panel stores and releases energy.. Exposure to other design approaches can be very educational to the ear / brian… The Pulsar have a following, so if you got them right, an inexpensive learning and listening experiment…. best to all ! enjoy the music

Jim

B38A12C5-C148-481D-B6C3-21DD9F82CB31.jpeg

Cheers Jim.  Funny there is nothing wrong with the Pulsars, just not THE sound.  Well will you listen to me, I’m getting it…..cue the Theme from Jurassic Park.  🦕

9 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Are those the Apogees?  I had a pair in the house on loan from my dealer in the 90's.  He didn't have the room and I kept them warm for 6 months. I loved them.  Ran em with an all Krell system. I agree on the Vandy sound.  Even when not fully dialed in, I like them better than any speaker I've had in the house.  I am so glad to be OFF the 'wheel' of trying new components.  When I change, it's an upgrade and not trying to tune anything.  The upgrades were all planned and I've been over the moon happy with each purchase.  Treo to Quatro.  Ayre to Vandersteen on the electronics.  Ayre to Brinkmann on the DAC.  All AQ Mythical Creatures cables and cords.  Synergistic Research to Niagara 1000 and then to the 3000 this year.

I am on the same path….Treo to Quatro, Ayre to M5.  So great it is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ctsooner said:

How do the Vandersteen amps sound?

4 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I think Peter already answered that question in other posts.

But, to save time, he said it was very good.

FWIW, I am leaning towards a pair, myself, to replace the Ayre MXR's.

Bob

I am going to try and like the PrimaLuna for a while.
I get the KT120s to stuff into it.

It sounds pretty good, but admittedly I have not heard top shelf gear in a long time.

My short list (to try) is:

• Try a like the PrimaLuna
  • Purifi Class-D
  • Maybe get the VTLs repaired (for the third time).
  • Vandy amps

Sorry,  been so busy lately. Been in combed with an incredible research board I sit on. Back to gear and music. Haa

i won’t go into my notes but the M5 was better in every area than the 50k and under amps I’ve had in here or in the store or other Vandy’s owners systems.  From Boulder to D’Agostino to CH to Solutions to Ayre to Audio Research to Aesthetix the M5 was better for my listening. Just neutral and throwing a realistic stage. Pre amps are still more important than amps,  but the largest positive difference I’ve heard changing amps was upgrading to the M5. Richard and Dean didn’t have to compromise so it’s almost unfair to compare.  

• Like 1