What differentiates an acoustic coupler from a conventional driver?

It is a driver with a voice coil and magnet, but the cone is weighted and tuned like a passive radiator.  The special crossover applies amplifier damping and some boost to make up for the inherent short comings of a conventual passive radiator.  Not published anywhere just silently doing its job.  Later on, there was another system whose name escapes me, but it worked very differently. 

RV

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 7:34 AM, mbrennan5 said:

What differentiates an acoustic coupler from a conventional driver?
Is is still moving in phase with the woofer (vs a passive radiator)?

It it was out of phase, then putting on the back, which is 180 degrees away from the front… could have sort of become an enlightenment “ah ha””…
(like a swordsman’s parry and thrust)

Edited by Holmz

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

Is there a way you can tell if the acoustic coupler is working?

It is pretty much a passive radiator (I believe)… hence... What is there that can go wrong?

But I would think measuring with REW, and using something known like the Vandertones, would be a way to ensure both channels are outputting energy.
But the room modes will mean that you probably want to run the mic close to the speaker, and/or use most of the frequencies.

Or put on something with a lot of bass… and have a listen.

Yea, a good bass album and it easily ‘shows itself’. Stick your head back behind the speaker, (if you can), and you can hear it, or, touch the outer edge of the speaker through the cloth, and you can feel it vibrate/move. It has a signal running to it, and is connected to the crossover, so it is not a pure passive, albeit, as Richard stated, it ‘acts’ like one.

Yes, of course. Be gentle. I was diagnosing a potential issue with one of mine on my 2’s, and gently felt the outer edge of the coupler.  If it is operating, you can feel the vibration at the edge. 

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TomicTime said:

it is a tuned mass loaded driver w a limited range that extends low bass. it IS an active driver that couples with the wall behind it for room gain. You can try Brians trick of touching it…gently ! IT is not a passive radiator…

As told by RV himself back on 14 Jan…
(My reading comprehension might need a tune up.)

I wonder if a flashlight my show a blur when it is playing?
Or a strobe running in the 30-60 Hz range, might show it moving slowly??

• Like 1