Magic Bricks

TomicTime

This is probably ancient history but for those of us children of the 70’s, etc might remember the VPI Magic Brick. The brick did work magic on transformers of even well designed gear. We demonstrated it on CJ Premier amplifiers…most people bought one… Expect tighter bass and a better defined more stable image on transients. There is science involved as it improves the core size of the transformer at relatively low cost. As all tubes are microphonic to some degree it may also improve damping. The core improvement does not apply to Torrids. I have not tried it on Vandy amplifiers, probably not advised due to the combination of over engineered and exotic transformers and built in HRS isolation. 

These can be found used now and then in the $20 - $30 range….

AB2C4323-A806-454F-A382-769721973B49.jpeg

I owned them and then sold them when I got rid of my Quicksilver Preamp and Silver Mono's special edition, lol.  Yes, they were a positive upgrade and I LOVE that Traffic album.  actually streamed it teh other day during my workout.  Ha!!!  Love that  amp stand 😉.  ha

I love Traffic - Rainmaker in particular off this album. 

Bob - Chunk of California Walnut with live edge  forward and aft, Sawcut on ends, HRS Nimbus couplers w aluminum spacers under the amp and just HRS donuts under the slab.

Fun project with what would have been scrap at the live edge shop i frequent, the owners have a vintage Denon TT and tube gear…cool people…

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TomicTime said:

I love Traffic - Rainmaker in particular off this album. 

COMPLETELY concur with you Jim!  That little bridge (with its jazzy flavor) that they do right after the line Rainmaker, you know my work's never done gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Think a RM-9 would like those VPI Magic Bricks?