Quatro CT set-up

Hi everyone,  I'm new to the site but have been reading some of your post.  Have ARC and Quatro Wood CT and it looks like my wife and I will be making the adjustment of the room  compensation controls.  Would appreciate any advice or tips from anyone with the knowledge.  Also, have to make speaker cable change.  I have read all the raves on the AQ William Tell ZERO and Bass. Could this be true? I have never experienced a speaker cable having such a profound effect on my system.  Have read GdnrBob's comments but would appreciate any input. Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dsisssup said:

Hi everyone,  I'm new to the site but have been reading some of your post.  Have ARC and Quatro Wood CT and it looks like my wife and I will be making the adjustment of the room  compensation controls.  Would appreciate any advice or tips from anyone with the knowledge.  Also, have to make speaker cable change.  I have read all the raves on the AQ William Tell ZERO and Bass. Could this be true? I have never experienced a speaker cable having such a profound effect on my system.  Have read GdnrBob's comments but would appreciate any input. Thanks

If you can keep the speaker wires short (6 foot or less) the Robin Hood bass and Robin Hood Zero Silver will work equally well.  If the M5-HPA is in your future wait until then because three  footers will cost less and work better.  RV

1 minute ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

If you can keep the speaker wires short (6 foot or less) the Robin Hood bass and Robin Hood Zero Silver will work equally well.  If the M5-HPA is in your future wait until then because three  footers will cost less and work better.  RV

Forgot one point, GdnrBob is driving TREO CT's so the extra metal in the William Tell is a benefit.  QUATRO CT's have powered subs which lowers the demand on the wire.  RV

Didn't know the difference between the two cables.  I can do 6 foot but like my present cable they will be extended to the limit.  I'm pretty sure at least in the near further the M5-HPA will not be on my on my radar, (pulled many strings getting the Quatro's) right now I just want to ensure the cables are right .  Was introduced to your speakers by Robert Taylor in the 80's. Thanks Richard. DS

3 hours ago, dsisssup said:

…  I have read all the raves on the AQ William Tell ZERO and Bass. Could this be true? I have never experienced a speaker cable having such a profound effect on my system.  

You could always just get some Mogami 3103 or 3104 demo Markertech and fabricate up a set, or order some Blue jeans cables.
Then you will at least have things going, as well as a set to A/B against.

I have been looking at the Kimber 8TC, and another one with low inductance. But I suspect that the ol 2C is less concerned than the newer models.

welcome @dsisssup ! Robert Taylor of Talor House - What a fantastic guy. I bought my REF5se from him and cables. Wonderful man, music lover and engineer. Wishing him well in retirement for sure!

There are setup videos for doing your EQ adjustment on the Vandy website, see youtube section.  Key steps; know w certainty the amplifier input impedence. Consult Quattro manual or High pass filter for correct DIP switch settings. Download Vandertones test tones or acquire a CD. Acquire the analog Radio Shack SPL meter, must be that meter. Follow instructions. IF it was me, i would use facetime on phone so you can see spl meter while adjusting pots on the back of the speaker. Thank me later for marital bliss. Key dont go crazy with boost trying to fill in frequency response holes… and don’t over equalize to super flat… enjoy, don’t stress it. go slow. use the worksheet Keep a copy. Remember Q is very personal, like spice in Chili. call if ya get stuck

Jim

253-431-6735

• Like 1

i have a loaner set of Biwire cables if you need something to get rolling. They have like 50 k miles on them, often they do from one vandy owner to another without coming home…ha. Remember you need the right size spades on the speaker end to fit the Vandersteen barrier strip.

Jim

• Thanks 2

Appreciate all the feed back however I suppose it wasn't clear that  I have a set of Acoustic Zen Biwire cable so I'm able to enjoy some of the offerings of this fine speaker. I'm looking to get as much info on the William Tell  before  I take the dive.  Richard suggested Robin Hood Silver but the price tag is a bit higher than  William Tell Zero.

Thanks Jim for your info and offer.  A few months ago Bob informed me that you were a good source if I needed help.  It feels good to know that this hobby has folks like you guys to communicate with.  Have done business with Taylor House for over 35 yrs now. Robert and Michael (his wife) visited me after Christmas to help with the set up of the Quatro's  but we ran out of time.  I have since moved to another room that turns out to be better however, I'm going to try making the adjustments with the help of my wife.

Hey Bob, Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to more of this exchange in ideas and info about our hobby.

Jordan

• Like 1

Assuming  that you were dealer-loaned a set of WTells, how would you (or anyone) go about determining if they were different or better than cable B?

And be confident that the difference was real?
Are they that apparent? Or just somewhat different?

Hi Jordan - Right on, you two can nail the setup yourselves !  I figured you might have the Acoustic  Zen cables, that’s what i bought from Robert also ( XLR Interconnect ) I felt them to be pretty neutral and a very good value silver cable at the time.  I have heard Satori in a shotgun biwire, a solid performer. Best to you. Please pass along greetings to Robert also.

Jim

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing and welcome. I can promise that cable upgrades and cord upgrades were much larger in my system than I ever expected. Shocking to be honest,  UTC it s a cost value prop. It’s also the last thing I have done. 

Thanks to you Holmz . Your comment is right on the money concerning the WT being better or different. Unfortunately no dealer in my area has the cable on hand . I suppose the demand  just won't support it.

I do appreciate the comments  from ctsonner.  Just to hear explanations like that will help in a final decision.

Talk to Robert quite often. He is 80 know and still doing a little work, will give him a yell for you.

• Like 1